Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Compass Gauge-96 Montero

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 08:05 AM
Default Compass Gauge-96 Montero

Can anyone help me how to change the bulb of my compass gauge?? I tried to open (3 gauges-upper dash) and found out that the volt and oil gauge sharing 1 bulb. And Still i cannot find the deffective Compass bulb.

Thanks!

1996 Montero

Old 10-31-2004, 01:46 PM
Default RE: Compass Gauge-96 Montero

I just replaced all of my bulbs with LEDs, so I know how to get the unit out, the bulbs you are looking for are easy to get to.

The center unit has two screws, one on each side, that hold the cover on, and four, two per side, that hold it to the dash.

After you get the cover off, look between the housing and the dash pad, in the gap, and you'll see two brass colored screws on either side. When you get the center gauge unit out, unclip the wiring harness (two screws) from the bottom of the unit and release the wires coming from the compass to the single bulb you found. Once the wires are loose, you can slide the compass unit out enough to flip it over.

On the back side, you'll see two 1 cm holes on the top corners of the unit. Inside are little plastic 'caps' that you turn counter CCW a quarter turn, and both bulbs are inside those caps. They are small though, and you might have to look a bit to find new ones, but that is how they are changed.

HTH,
Mark