Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Coolant leaking everywhere!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 11:21 PM

Well ain't that a pickle... You got us all stumped. At this point your guess is as good as anyones. You will need to pull the heads and see what it looks like under there. If there is any internal damage - you'll see it. I don't know if you will be able to see a damage to a head gasket (unless it is very obvious). It is possible that the head gaskets had failed. However, I still find it puzzling that both sides could have failed at once...

Old 09-03-2015, 08:49 AM

I think at this point I will put things back together and have It towed to a shop.

I don't feel comfortable pulling the heads myself and just need this car fixed.

Thanks for all of the help and I will report back as soon as I know what the problem was/is.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:13 AM

Well that sucks... May want to kiss your wallet goodbye :P

Old 09-03-2015, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Guyfromhe
Well that sucks... May want to kiss your wallet goodbye :P
Yeah, It does suck. I just don't have the know how to tear down the heads and replace things etc.

It is what it is I guess!

Old 09-03-2015, 11:55 AM

No don't throw in the towel! You can do it!

In summary, the system won't start, therefore, you cannot see where the coolant is leaking from and while everything looks good you have no compression in cylinders and a few boots were melted.

The only symptom you observed was the coolant (along with loss of power). It could be that the boots were burned from a previous incident.

Have you tried contacting the seller to see if there is any history he can give you that might shed light on this?

Do you have to put it back together to take it in? Seems like a mechanic might take it disassembled, less work for him.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Porvalsh
No don't throw in the towel! You can do it!

In summary, the system won't start, therefore, you cannot see where the coolant is leaking from and while everything looks good you have no compression in cylinders and a few boots were melted.

The only symptom you observed was the coolant (along with loss of power). It could be that the boots were burned from a previous incident.

Have you tried contacting the seller to see if there is any history he can give you that might shed light on this?

Do you have to put it back together to take it in? Seems like a mechanic might take it disassembled, less work for him.
The seller will have nothing to do with me - won't return phone calls etc.
I am assuming he knew about these issues prior to selling me the car.

And yeah I thought about bringing it to my mechanic dis-assembled thus saving him time and saving ME money. I think that is going to be my option.

I'm not sure what else to look for other than removing the heads but I have no idea how to remove those. Is there any write ups?

Last edited by thellamattina; 09-03-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:50 PM

Tearing apart is usually easier than putting back together. I doubt there is a write up specific to your engine/model but there is a service manual for 30 bucks, or sometimes free online (mitsubishilinks.com). There is usually a rebuild/overhaul section in it and it will tell you the order of how to pull things apart.

It would probably save you a lot of pain if you pulled the engine out.

Rebuild kits are about 500 on rock auto. Piston rings, pistons, bearings, rods, timing belt, gaskets/seals, etc.

Sounds like you're probably fed up with it though...

Old 09-03-2015, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Porvalsh
Tearing apart is usually easier than putting back together. I doubt there is a write up specific to your engine/model but there is a service manual for 30 bucks, or sometimes free online (mitsubishilinks.com). There is usually a rebuild/overhaul section in it and it will tell you the order of how to pull things apart.

It would probably save you a lot of pain if you pulled the engine out.

Rebuild kits are about 500 on rock auto. Piston rings, pistons, bearings, rods, timing belt, gaskets/seals, etc.

Sounds like you're probably fed up with it though...
I think fed up is an understatement! ha

There is no way I'm pulling the motor myself, I don't have the tools/hoist etc.

I will be contacting my mechanic in the next week here and let you guys know how it goes!

Old 09-03-2015, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by thellamattina
Yeah, It does suck. I just don't have the know how to tear down the heads and replace things etc.

It is what it is I guess!
Feel bad for you being in this situation, but you need to know when to throw in the towel. Like you said - you don't have the tools or know how on further tear down and rebuild. It is good that you have a mechanic who might be able to complete the job that is in front of you.
It sucks when the car sellers pull a fast one on you and then don't even return your call when you are looking or information.
Once you have a word from your mechanic, let us know what he finds. We are all holding our breath.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:07 PM

UPDATE:

I was doing some other small stuff before I took the car to the shop and I pulled a lower coolant line and solid brown coolant started coming out...

I find it odd that when i drained the oil pan, I did not see signs of coolant in the oil though....?

SO!

I guess that means that one, if not both head gaskets are blown. UGH!
Makes sense as to why I had no compression as well.

This really sucks, and I hope that I did not warp or damage any of the internal head components.

Anyone feel like coming to Illinois and helping me do a head gasket?! PLEASE?!

Last edited by thellamattina; 09-15-2015 at 08:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Coolant leaking everywhere!