Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Crankshaft bolt direction

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 10:18 AM
Default Crankshaft bolt direction

Hello,
I am having a problem removing my crankshaft bolt. It is a 2001 Montenegro Limited and I have been spraying it with PB blaster. I am using an impact wrench with 850 lbs of torque. I just want to be sure of the removal direction. I am going in a counterclockwise direction. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 05-28-2019, 10:48 AM

That bolt has "standard" right handed thread. Counterclockwise is the direction in which you need to turn to remove it. If the bolt has never been removed, it might be an extra PITA... Spraying the bolt with penetrating oil and letting it sit for several days (spray again and again) will help eventually.The biggest issue is to prevent crank shaft rotation while you are trying to break the bolt loose. When I did this job fist time, I did not have a crankshaft holder. I used a 2 ft breaker bar with the handle positioned firmly against the bottom of driver's side fender/frame area of the engine compartment. When everything is secured, you give the engine a quick turn with ON/Off with the key in start position (shut off immediately). That makes the engine turn around the bolt and bolt loosens up. I wouldn't deny - this is a scary and dangerous procedure. DON'T do it if you are not feeling comfortable with it.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:54 AM

HunterD,
Yes i have done that trick with a Honda 3.5 engine once. This is my first Mitsubishi I have worked on. It has a blown head gasket on the passenger side and I am working to remove the heads and this bolt has stopped my progress.
Thanks for the info.
Steve