Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

dash brake light 2001 Montero Sport 185,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 03:43 PM
Default dash brake light 2001 Montero Sport 185,000 miles

Dash brake warning light started staying on intermittently about 20K miles ago. It would go on/off when I set the EBrake, so I assume it's the EBrake light. Finally replaced the mechanical EBrake switch in the center console, and that was not it.

Can someone verify that this is the EBrake light.....and not indicative of some other brake system issue?

Can I get some ideas....it's on all the time, now.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:42 AM

Your photo is not showing up. I've ran into this issue with my few previous posts. It will add a photo if posted form the phone, but not from computer. Not sure what is going on.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:10 AM

Old 01-22-2020, 10:35 PM

It sure does look like EBrake warning light. It can be as simple as a bad or misaligned switch on the ebrake handle.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:39 PM

HunterD, thanks for the reply. I have already replaced the mechanical EBrake switch. I verified the handle is adjusted so that it it tripping the switch.....so it must be something else.....funny though because when it was initially failing a couple of years ago, pulliing the ebrake handle up and down would cause it to go on and off, although intermittently....any other ideas?

Old 01-24-2020, 12:12 AM

Dumb question, but did you get correct switch? Some are normally CLOSED, and some are normally OPEN. Does your switch have only two terminals or three? If three, try a different set of contacts.
On full size Montero the switch should operate as follows: Handle pulled - closed circuit across the switch terminals; Handle Down (released) - open circuit across terminals. I'm pretty sure the operation on Montero Sport should be similar.

I'd try the following diagnostics steps:
1. with ignition on, check if manually operating the switch (push little button) turns the brake light off.
2. if it does - you need to re-adjust position of the switch relative to the handle. it simply not making proper contact when handle is released.
3. if previous procedure does not work, does the light goes off when the switch is disconnected?
4. try to close the circuit across the two wires. Does the light goes on? If it does - you got a wrong or defective switch.