Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Did I get a fair deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 01:42 AM
Default Did I get a fair deal?

Hello guys, I just got the following services done on my 2003 3.8L Montero Limited and would like to know if I got a fair price.

My mechanic charged me $1838 for the following services:

-Timing Belt Service, which included replacing belt, tensioner, gaskets and water pump.
-Spark plug service, NGK Iridium plugs
-Replaced front brake pads
-diagnosed check engine light and replaced bad O2 sensor
-Lube Guard (don't know what this is)
-Oil Change and filter
-Air filter
-Flushed Brake system
-Flushed Power steering system
-Flushed transmission
-Flushed transfer case
-Flushed front and rear differentials
-Flushed coolant system

My mechanic advertises that he's usually 50% less than other bigger shops. Looking at my bill, it doesn't seem like 50% off but then again, I don't know if working on the Montero is more labor intensive or not. Also, he stated that he used OEM parts for all replacements.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 AM

Going by the price you listed, it sounds about the same cost as a dealer service.

The timing belt, tensioner, etc. seems to run around the $800 mark (more if you have the pulleys replaced as well.

The plugs involve removing the intake, so it's fairly involved. (you did get the wires replaced too, right?)

The rest of the items are easy DIY services so I'm not sure what is a reasonable price.

It's good that your guy used OEM parts- especially on the T-belt service (although they cost a bit more).

All of those "flush" services add up- if you're looking to save money, start by completing fluid exchanges yourself. The differentials, and transfer case are both drain/fill services (there's no flush involved). If you had the transmission done with MM ATF, and a proper flush was completed it takes about ten to twelve quarts to complete. (check to see that the system was flushed and not just drained and filled.

Overall, it does not seem any less expensive than the dealer.

Last edited by Mr. Z.; 05-15-2012 at 07:28 PM.