Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Engine Bottom End Blown

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Default Engine Bottom End Blown

Hi,
Just had my 2004 Montero Limited start making a loud clacking noise. Sounds like engine bottomend. Took it to the Dealer for warranty and was denied because I could'nt prove 100% of my oil changes. I change the oil and filter every 3000km by the way.Anyone heard of this engine issue? Any advice for getting my waranty? I sent an oil sample off for spectrometric analasyis to help build a case.

Thanks!!

Old 03-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Banned
Default RE: Engine Bottom End Blown

That is some bull****. If you honestly did all the oil changes on time, there is no reason for this to happen.

Go to another dealer.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:46 PM

like sheeeeeebbbbbbaaaaa said ...................no records no waranty

Old 03-29-2008, 12:54 AM

i work for a dealer and if you cant prove with recipts that you changed your oil every 3000 you get the boot!! its not only the dealer but also mitsubishi. they have really tightened up on that kinda thing. usually what happens is, the pickup tube for the oil pump gets clogged from dirty oil caking up on it and doesnt let enough oil get to the auto lash adjusters. it makes a loud clacking noise when running. if you did change your oil as you say, a few of the adjusters could be bad, or if you have a after market oil filter the check valve it it could be bad and causing low oil pressure. seen that happen! thats the most common things anyway!! could be bearings, but i doubt it. mitsubishi builds a good bottom end. its just thay cant make a good valve stem seal! mitsubishi has a 1-800 crymeariver number for customer complaints. but dont expect much. also you could tell the service manager that you want to meet with the district service manager for mitsubishi. each dealer has one. plead your case with him also. cant hurt, but dont get your hopes up!! sorry to be negative, but i have seen this many times before. and mitsibishi usually denies your claim, unless you have all your service work done at the dealer. if not, then again dont get your hopes up!! good luck!! greg...

Old 01-02-2009, 12:58 PM

Mitsu warrantied my engine only after threatening Legal action. I managed to get bank card drafts showing oil and filter purchases also.

Heloman

Old 01-02-2009, 05:38 PM

first, if you DO have lower end damage, its no doubt due to your neglect, as that engine does NOT fail.

but more likely its not a lower end issue, but a failing timing belt tensioner.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:34 PM

I can't say that it is his fault, that is wrong. It MAY be his fault. The lower end on my wife's monti failed. Number 3 piston end cap bolts came out, and one of #4's bolts had lost its nut. We have records of every oil change since the truck was new, and it has not been abused, with all maintanence done on it on time at the intervals stated in the owner's manual. These are very good engines, but just like anything mechanical, they can fail. I would say sugest getting any info you can, including your bank records, and go after them to honor the warranty. Good Luck

Old 01-03-2009, 12:36 PM

they dont fail unless neglected. thats it.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:12 AM

Ok, if they fail from neglect, then tell me why the nuts were off the rod end caps of number 3, thus destroying the piston, rod, and crank, plus 1 nut was off of number 4 connecting rod. Now, the lower end of this engine was still factory sealed. On the other rod journals, there is NO scaring, NO pitting, etc, that comes with and engine being abused. Mains looked almost new infact. His engine COULD have been abused, but flat out saying that its his fault because the bottom end NEVER fails is wrong. Anything that is mecanical can fail. If one thing got just a little out of balance then it could cause major problems. One bolt on the main or end caps not getting locktight and backing off, and boom, lower end is gone. It sounds to me like he has a decient case if he sent the oil off for anaylisis, and if he can get some sort of receipts showing his oil purchases, etc, then I believe he has a very good case for the warrenty to be honored.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:04 PM

ive worked 4 mitsu for 17 years.

montero engines dont fail unless abused. overheated, no oil changes, etc.
it COULD wear out.. but that takes about 300,000+ miles.

Quick Reply: Engine Bottom End Blown