Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Engine shake on idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 07:17 AM
Default Engine shake on idle

Hi all im new here hope someone can assist. [/align]I have a 2001 NM Pajero 3.5 Petrol Engine. Since buying this vehicle a few months back the engine has a shake on idle. Recently i have converted the vehicle to LPG so it runs both fuels via a switch. I still get this shake using LPG fuel.[/align]I have played with the idle screw upping the revs but ECU relearns its idle so it goes back to normal after a couple of days[/align]I have been trying to resolve this problem for a while now but no luck as yet.[/align]Plugs and leads were replaced just over a month ago with genuine mitsu items.[/align]This is what i did today. [/align]I lifted the rear of the trany still get the vibration/shake. Lifted the front of the engine still get the vibes.[/align]Checked balancer no wobble observed.[/align]Other parts i have swaped which i had access too as follows.[/align]Complete set of Ignition coils.[/align]EFI Temp Sensor.[/align]Throttle Position Sensor.[/align]Ingiter the item that sits next to the coils.[/align]O2 sensor was done the other day.[/align]Basically all the sensors except the Airflow Meter cause we couldnt find it where it was stored.[/align]Removed throttle body and gave it a good clean with throttle body cleaner even though it was already cleaned.[/align]Cleaned PVC valve.[/align]ISC checked and working.[/align]Re checked all hoses for leaks.[/align]Checked manifolds for leaks as well.[/align]Still get the vibes on idle.[/align]Next step is to remove the timming cover and check the cam timming.[/align]I have a feeling the person who replaced it may have botched the install.[/align]Cant believe i spent the whole day on it and no closer to sorting the problem out.[/align][/align]Any further tips or advice most welcome[/align]

Old 03-13-2007, 06:50 AM
Default RE: Engine shake on idle

Ok now for the conclusion. I have some good news. Its fixed.
Took it to my mechanic today we pulled the timming covers off and all the other bits and pieces in front of the engine.[/align]Our findings are as follows.[/align]Passenger side camshaft was out by one tooth.[/align]Tensioner on timming belt loose as a goose the belt had a fair bit of play side to side.[/align]Basically since we had it pulled down suggested we replace the timming belt anyway.[/align]Timming belt had been replaced by previous owner obviously it wasnt done correctly.[/align]I consider myself very lucky the belt didnt jump any further otherwise i would have suffered the good old bent valve syndrome and other damage associated with this.[/align]Anyway we put the thing back together and it just purrs like a kitten now. So quiet so smooth even with all the accesories on placing a load on the engine. Such a sigh of relief finally. [/align]I have been chasing this problem for a while now and can happily say its sorted. Best part was the cost. All up $300.00 which included the belt and labour associated with this piece of work.[/align]Thanks all for your suggestions.[/align]Best Regards[/align]wrexed03[/align]

Old 03-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Default RE: Engine shake on idle

Interesting. I have an '03 3.8L and it has shaked a bit since new. Now at 40k it shakes a bit more than it used to.

In another thread, TJ stated that his belt was loose at 60k when he changed his.

I wonder if mine is getting loose?