Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Engine stalling out

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 11:51 AM

You guys are so lucky - your filter is on the frame... On the full size Montero the filter is inside the tank on the fuel pump I've been a very bad boy since I never changed the filter since the day the Monty was assembled (248k ago). I have a new filter on hand, just don't have time to swap it. I tried to do it once without dropping the tank. You have to go through the little porthole in the passenger compartment floor. I removed the plates (apparently there two of them - one on top and one on the bottom of the unibody) and even got to disconnect fuel lines. Couldn't dislodge the pump from the tank. It's sealed to it as if it was welded. Had to give up and leave it for now. Put it all back together and re-evaluate my not wanting to drop the tank (still don't want to...).

Old 08-23-2019, 04:58 PM

Hunter.......Are you sure that you dont also have the cannister filter on the frame? My 94 has a filter on the fuel pump in the tank, and also the cannister filter on the frame.

But who knows......you might go thru all that work to pull the fuel pump out of the tanks, only to find that the long pancake filter is totally clean. Maybe just wait until there is a real problem, like a bad fuel pump, or break down and "get er done" when the odometer hits 500,000.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:02 AM

I'm 100% sure. The filter on '01 Montero Limited is in the tank. So far I'm not experiencing any symptoms of fuel restriction (high positive fuel trims and/or lack of power), so I'm thinking exactly as you - wait until I HAVE to do it. I got filter on hand, so if it gets to that point, I'm ready to work on it.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:17 AM

Interesting.....I guess Mitsu was trying to trim costs a bit and ditched the frame mounted filter after 99 or 2000. My brother has a 98 Monty, and it has the frame mounted filter......I helped him change it, and those fitting nuts had to be torqued real tight to stop the leaking. On mine I actually used some pipe dope on the threads, and had no issues with leaking and having to super torque them.......you think pipe dope or teflon tape is a bad idea? (as long as you dont get the dope inside the line).

Another thought when you have so much time on your hands that you dont know what to do......when the tank is down below say 5 gallons, unscrew the plug and let her drain out into a big tub. That way you can really see if any crud is starting to develop. I found those clear 5+ gallon storage tubs with tops from walmart (about $5) work great. You can see everything that comes out, and pouring is easy from a corner....no runs, no drips, no errors. (Take off the filler cap after she starts flowing, and the gas will come out alot faster, maybe picking up more debris). (Ignore any quacking sounds...ha ha)

Old 08-24-2019, 10:26 AM

I just figured out why I don't have a frame mounted fuel filter - I don't have a frame... Mitsubishi ditched the frame for 2001 model (introduction of the Gen 3 in US). In that year full size Montero was made as a unibody construction. Thus in-tank fuel filter.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:21 PM

Fascinating......I didnt know that they ditched the frame........maybe because they were getting complaints about rust issues, and nipped the frame in the bud.......didnt want the costly recalls like Toyota had. Hey, thats the ticket! Mitsubishi should issue a recall for the rusty frames, and fix mine for free!!!! Yea, I like that idea.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:51 AM

I replaced the fuel filter yesterday. The details in the link from Post 9 were spot on for my 2002 Montero Sport with 3.5L. I disconnected the fuel pump relay and ran engine till it quit to depressurize the fuel system. The relay is located behind the right passenger kick panel and is the relay closest to the body.

I am not left handed so I had to remove the running board so that I could get my right hand on the high pressure fuel hose to press the clips for release. The connector has two square "buttons" or clips, one on each side, that need to be pressed in till slightly below the surface. I heard an audible click. I then used a small crescent wrench to then push on the hose to get it off.

I sprayed all of the fasteners with PB Blaster and let them soak for bit before loosening. Disconnect the front fuel line flare before removing the bracket bolts to the frame.

The band portion of the bracket has a welded nut. My bolt broke so I blasted the bracket, ground the failed nut off, welded a new nut on, and painted the bracket.

The fuel filter has 3 ribs on its cylinder surface. These mate with grooves in the bracket to "clock" the filter nipple which is angled for the high pressure hose. Match the orientation you found prior.

I shook out the filter and very brown/rusty fuel came out, no noticeable hard debris. The flare nut side interior looked fully crudded up with only a small slit visible. I blew thru it with an air gun (from both directions) and got the same brown mess.

Drove it for about 10 miles without issue, so crossing fingers that was it.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:03 AM

Larry.....Excellent job, and great description and pictures! At 193,000 miles, I think that filter was reaching the end of its life for sure. Pretty rewarding to tackle a project like this, get her done the right way, and then see that it solved the problem.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by 1960StudebakerHawk
Larry.....Excellent job, and great description and pictures! At 193,000 miles, I think that filter was reaching the end of its life for sure. Pretty rewarding to tackle a project like this, get her done the right way, and then see that it solved the problem.
Thank you! Cautiously optimistic....

Old 08-30-2019, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by larry4406
Thank you! Cautiously optimistic....
Well this was short lived. Its back....

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...22/#post327943

Quick Reply: Engine stalling out