Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

engine swap feeler

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Default engine swap feeler

hello DSM enthusiasts,

im new to the forums, i picked up a 98 MS last summer, es model, as basic as you can get. 4x2, 4g64 sohc 16v engine, has 195k on it now, front disc, rear drum, 5spd manual. just rebuilt the head with new seals, valves, lifters, head gasket, converted it to electric fan setup, rigged up a cheap ebay CAI for it, got her up to 25mpg hwy/city combo get around 320-380 miles to a tank. love this little suv.

here is the feeler....

after talking to a DSM eclipse guru, i am wondering how hard it would be to make a 4g63t swap or even a 4g64t swap into her?? right now its a 2 bolt crank so reusing anything is pointless. only thing i can this is oil pan, mounts, maybe the intake setup for a FR vehicle. how hard would it be? i have plenty of room in the engine bay. just trying to figure out how pricey it would be and would it be worth it?

keep in m ind im thinking mild boost, not building a race car here, maybe 5-10psi for low range boost for torque and hills. no cams, no crazy turbo, just a basic reliable swap with little to no tuning other than monitoring a VAFC.

Im a mustang guy at heart, my pride and joy is my 01 bullitt i have been modding for a few years now and i thought this might be something different and cool to possibly have as a dd.

let me know what you guys think.

Thanks all,
Corey

Old 04-14-2011, 07:51 PM

Welcome, 98, to the forums! Since I'm absolutely no help you for your question, I'll ask you one instead . Do you think that changing over to an electric fan helped goose your MPG? Had a few folks do this same thing with early 80's technology liquid-cooled bikes and swore that it got them better performance out of it.

Sorry that I can't help you with your engine swap question, but there are lots of smart folks around here who probably can. Post a pic of your project?

Old 04-29-2011, 02:08 PM

between the CAI, the electric fan, and exhaust, i noticed a significant increase in power as well as fuel economy. i now get approx 22-25mpg hwy, 21 interstate, 22city. I just rebuilt the head. flows much better. If you would like to see videos of it, look on youtube under my channel, 2001bullitt1861, i have videos of both of my cars on there. however the CAI video is older, since then i have repainted the valve cover red and cleaned up wires. since the MS did not come with cruise control i use autometer's boost gauge to monitor vacuum to get the best fuel economy i can by seeing how much manifold vacuum i am pulling, also have a volt meter and a oil psi gauge, eventually i will run a fuel pressure and narrowband AFR gauges on the a-pillar as well

Old 04-29-2011, 07:54 PM

My hat's off to you. Saw your post. When you started her up, it sounded like the bridge of the Enterprise for a second. I like the way you can measure vacuum in real-time, and the night lights look really sweet. Nice job. (Of course, the white paint is nice, too )

Are you still running all your required emissions stuff out the back, or is all that rumble simply from a lower restriction muffler and larger piping?

Too bad no one seems to have an opinion on your original engine-swap question.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:58 AM

well when i had a misfire issue, i replaced the catalytic converter with a cherry bomb cat from autozone. the muffler is a 35$ knock off lfowmaster off ebay from carpartswholesale and it was same factory size pipe, 2.25" in/out and an OBX tip from 2.25 to 4", should have went with a 3" but the tapered design and built in resonator in the tip give it a good rumble. i like it. All i did for the vacuum was hook up a 1/4" hose and t'ed it into the brake booster line before the check valve in the line and that way if i do ever get to do the 4g63t swap i can use that gauge for boost...
if you got questions man feel free to give me a call, im on central time in florida, ill help ya out however i can with finding parts like what i have
corey
or if you have a facebook my username is corey walters
email
bullitt1861@hotmail.com

Old 04-30-2011, 10:59 AM

not sure i understand your star trek reference though? haha

Old 04-30-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by 98MSes2.4
not sure i understand your star trek reference though? haha

Your vid with just the closeup of the guages....when you start it up there are space-age chimes, unless those are ones only I can hear in my head, which is possible.

Thanks for your offer. I believe here in Cali they frown on such mods, however, so I'm stuck with stock, like it or not. May call you if I need to find parts, tho...

Old 04-30-2011, 02:21 PM

o that was my radar detector i hardwired into my clock in the overhead console. as soon as the key kicks on it powers on my radar detector. damn, no mods in cali? my wife wants us to get stationed there next year, between a modified montero sport and my completely emissions illegal mustang, i would be screwed.... lol 2.5" exhaust with long tubes and no cats and manual cut outs.... on the stang, cops will love me

Old 04-30-2011, 02:24 PM

You'll have to park them in Nevada or Arizona and wave at them occasionally.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:41 AM

ruled that state out real qwik, florida FTW!