Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Front wheels locked up

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 08:52 AM
Default Front wheels locked up

Hi. Just joined this group. Not sure if this is the right place for this. I'm joining to try and find some info. I have a 2000 Montero Sport. It's AWD. Has 4H, 4L and AWD settings. The frwheont wheels are locked up. The vehicle will go in reverse, but not forward. Rear wheels turn, but front is locked. If I jack it up and put in neutral I can turn front wheels by hand but it's really hard. I can't guess at anything else except transfer case is locked. Anyone experience this? Can I pull off forward driveshaft and just make it rear wheel drive for now? Any info would be appreciated. I have no experience with this vehicle, it's not mine. Thanks

Old 10-08-2019, 09:49 AM

When you try to turn one front wheel, does the second wheel spin? In "normal" 2H mode operation it should not. If it does, that means your front differential is not disengaging. This might be going on even if transfer case is disengaged.

Possible culprits:
Damaged vacuum lines;
damaged 4WD selector solenoid;
damaged front differential lock actuator;
damaged front differential.

Start with the simple things first. Check if front diff has oil in it. Check the oil condition (see if there are any metal pieces in there). if all is well, put a vacuum pump on the actuator fittings, apply vacuum and turn wheels forward and backward. See if this may disengage the front differential. There are two fittings on the actuator. Can't tell you which one is the right one, so try both.

Deal with other possibilities after you eliminated these ones.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD
When you try to turn one front wheel, does the second wheel spin? In "normal" 2H mode operation it should not. If it does, that means your front differential is not disengaging. This might be going on even if transfer case is disengaged.

Possible culprits:
Damaged vacuum lines;
damaged 4WD selector solenoid;
damaged front differential lock actuator;
damaged front differential.

Start with the simple things first. Check if front diff has oil in it. Check the oil condition (see if there are any metal pieces in there). if all is well, put a vacuum pump on the actuator fittings, apply vacuum and turn wheels forward and backward. See if this may disengage the front differential. There are two fittings on the actuator. Can't tell you which one is the right one, so try both.

Deal with other possibilities after you eliminated these ones.
Thanks for the reply. To be honest I don't wanna do that much work. It's not my vehicle, it's basically stuck in my driveway and I just want it gone lol. The person who owns it can't afford tow or repair. I'm looking for a way to make it move. That's why I'm wondering if removing the front driveshaft will make it 2 wheel drive. There's no 2H setting. It's 4H, 4L and AWD. That's why I think it's having trouble. If there was 2 H I could probably disengage it. What do you think??