Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Fuel gauge not working on my Pajero (Montero)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Smile Fuel gauge not working on my Pajero (Montero)

I hope someone can help me please?

I have a 1992 Pajero (Montero in North America)

When I top the tank up with fuel, the needle goes up to "F", as its full. But as the tank runs empty the needle does not fall past the half tank mark. So once I have a half tank left, I only know I need fuel when my orange fuel indication light comes on.

How can I fix this issue?

Any help on the matter would be appreciated.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:41 PM

Hello Shadowbroker.

I've seen this in other vehicles, where it takes replacing the fuel pump because the level sensor is part of the whole pump module. I don't know enough about the Pajero to know if this is the case.

I trust someone else will pipe up here.

In the mean time, you may want to write down your mileage at each fill up, so you get an idea how far you can go on a tank. That way if your light doesn't come on you won't inadvertently run out one day.

On another note, there is a Pajero forum in your country that has tons of specific info on these vehicles. You may want to check them out. (www.pocuk.com)

Newbie Normogg

Last edited by Normogg; 03-20-2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: forgot to add a line
Old 03-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Banned

Correct. More than likely you need to replace the fuel sending unit, which houses the fuel pump.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:32 PM

Shadowbroker....

Had the same problem with my girlfriend's Chevy Tracker. We filled the tank and set off on a long drive from Oregon back to the Bay Area. Well the car started to surge and misfire, so we pulled off, right by a service station as luck would have it. They checked it out and couldn't find anything wrong; the gas gauge read about a half a tank. Then, on a whim, the mechanic whapped the tank with a big rubber mallet and the gauge dropped to empty; we were simply out of gas. Some vehicles sending unit floats get hung up in the tank after being filled and then only drop with a little persuasion. We haven't had any trouble since, but now my girlfriend keeps it from ever getting below a quarter tank.

It might be worth it to give your tank a couple of knocks with a rubber mallet and see if your gas gauge starts telling the truth. At least the price is right!