Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Fuel sensor/gauge not working - 2001 Montero Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 09:57 PM
Default Fuel sensor/gauge not working - 2001 Montero Sport

I purchased a 2001 Montero Sport XLS last year (previously an Explorer owner for 20 years). While it's not in pristine condition most of the "bugs" don't affect the car's overall running condition except one. The gas gauge, which sits at "E." I've made do with keeping track of the mileage and filling it when I think it needs doing. The vehicle is used around town -- no more than 20 miles in any direction -- so no big deal.

Now I'm going to take a trip south -- about 200 miles -- and feel uneasy depending on the log vs. gauge. A local mechanic told me that I'd need a new gas tank () because the sensor (maybe he meant float) was internal to the tank. That fix seemed illogical/shocking at the time. After researching here and elsewhere on the net it seems as though the repair could be effected by replacing the fuel level sensor which, according to various diagrams, seems to be located on the side of the gas tank.

I'm no mechanic but I've got a service manual for the vehicle and know one end of a wrench from another. My neighbor is a shade-tree mechanic and he's offered to lend me ramps and other tools if needed.

I'd appreciate an opinion about replacing the sensor or advice if another diagnosis is appropriate.

Thanks,

~ Lisa