Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

full size gen-3 Montero 4wd 4x4 blinking lights & stuck wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 01:54 PM
Default full size gen-3 Montero 4wd 4x4 blinking lights & stuck wheels

I've yet to find an exact help page or manual area for troubleshooting the American or equivalent version of the 1999 - 2006 generation 3 Montero / Pajero. There's one for the UK I found written in 2006 and all the photos look different...it's for a right-hand drive model of unknown motor/body type.

I have flashing lights and failure of the front axle/hubs to engage or disengage when I change the electronic shift selector. I can sometimes get it to cooperate with much jiggling of selector lever, moving around, juicing it, or turning the ignition on and off, but not always. And it seems random what makes it work again.

The lights only flash when I try to engage or disengage the 4wd. When its operating correctly in 2wd I don't have blinking 4wd or Center Differential lights.

Any references to good trouble shooting procedures or help would be appreciated.

I'm also looking for any information about making the front hubs manual locking or otherwise upgrading so the system is less electronic / switch / vacuum dependent. Anyone tried changing your Montero to a better engagement system and/or manual hubs?

Old 06-16-2016, 03:52 PM
Default 91% iso rubbing alcohol saves the day!

I put 5 oz of 91% iso rubbing alcohol in an old contact cleaning bottle (after I rinsed it with vinegar) and sprayed about 1/2 ounce at a time all over the 4wd shift selector while working it up, down, pushing it down, etc. Did the gear selector also.

My Limited model has the plastic sliding cover that moves up and down as the lever is moved...so the alcohol flows into/around it and down the shift lever shaft. It's not like the XLS that has a protective vinyl cape or bag over it.

Last fall 2015 I spilt about 6oz of coffee with honey and creamer on it and was traveling so had no way to properly clean up...I think that was making for sticky electrical connections.

So do this first before visually checking switches, lines, wires and cleaning them! Easy fix.

I have two 2001 XLS models and both of them apparently have a burned out center differential lock (CD) light. The 4wd drive selections work (2H-4H-4L) and all the wheel lites too but the CD box will never light up on 4wd Low.

It feels to be working but is there a way to confirm the Low lock is working?