Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Heater Core Stop Leak - Opinions Please

Old 12-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Default Heater Core Stop Leak - Opinions Please

Hi all:

I'd typically never use coolant additives to fix a leak but in this case I'm tempted and would appreciate and "audience survey."

I have a slight leak in my heater core - just enough to get an annoying wiff of coolant odor but not enough to fog up the windshield or leak out the drain hole. Run the blower for a while and you almost forget it's there until the next start up.

But a leak is a leak so I went to Pick & Pull and got a great core for $27. The problem is that in pulling it I realized what a huge project it is and how many chances there are for breaking something and/or messing up the heater control cables, heater hoses, etc. This is not a trivial repair.

I plan to keep this truck till 250K miles or until something major breaks and then perhaps part it out. At that point the engine is not going to be worth a lot so having a small amount of stop leak in the system for another year or so may not be a big deal - or is it?

This would be a good week for me to basically disassemble my truck if I'm going to do it - but it's so tempting to just use half a bottle of additive and see what happens. If any of you have strong feelings, horror stories, etc with stop leak products I'd appreciate hearing.

Thanks in advance,

Ron

Last edited by jrmdir; 12-26-2009 at 12:10 PM.