Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Hello, oh and; HELP!!!

Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Default Hello, oh and; HELP!!!

Hello,

My name is Alex, Im 25 years old, I have been a shade tree mechanic for as long as I can remember. I recently purchased a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero with 169k miles. The car is equipped with the 4x4, automatic, 3.0 V6, which brings me to this forum. My girlfriend wanted an suv so I suggested several models, of those I suggested she picked the Montero. We found a 4x4 montero in our price range, It was a clean car with what seem's to be a solid history and future.

However....

The car I bought has several issues.

1. The stearing wheel seems to have a bushing going out. Whenever you turn the wheel there is a medium pitch squeek.

Any input?

2. There is some noise in the head, Iv been told this is probably valve lash adjuster's going bad.

How hard is this to fix? Is it as simple as remove and replace? Will it hurt the motor to continue driving on it?

3. The car looks like it has an oil leak around the head gasket on the passenger side of the car.

Is this common?

4. Oh, and its missing the head rest's on the third row seat.

Any one have some?

Other then that Im happy with my purchase for $4,200.00

A few questions...

1. I have heard that the brakes on the Monteros are a bit small for its weight so I wanted to upgrade the pads and rotors, my concern is that slotted or cross drilled rotors will crack under off road conditions;especially in a low water crossing situations after heavy down hill braking, which is exactly what im looking to do.

2. What are the best fluids to run in the differential and transmission of this car? I have heard of alot of problems with the 4x4 system in this suv and I just want to be as safe as possible.

3. Is there a good web site for good uprgades for the montero?

Thanks in advance,
Alex R.