Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Help with EGR Solenoid for 1996 Montero SR

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 09:47 PM
Default Help with EGR Solenoid for 1996 Montero SR

Hi,

Anyone have any ideas where i might be able to locate a replacement EGR solenoid for a 1996 Montero SR 3.5L DOHC? I've searched high and low, and online parts store keep pointing to part #MR188756 which does not fit. Some have even pointed to the wrong part as they don't differentiate between sport and non sport version. I compared the part mentioned above to what's in the manual and just by looking at the connector alone, the part mentioned above would not fit. Also checked it on my Montero, and yeah there's no way MR188756 would fit.

Hoping someone could help shed some light and maybe point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
-Tom

Old 11-15-2016, 01:50 PM

Have you tried to call a Mitsubishi dealer and having them look up a part number by your Montero's VIN? I had a situation like that with the oil coolant hoses some time ago. The parts listed were not even close to what I needed, but local dealer was able to properly ID necessary part numbers.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:46 AM
Default EGR solenoid

I just replaced on my 02 montero. It's called EGR control valve solenoid. If this post is not too late, you can easily order any part online at Rockauto.com and not pay dealer prices ever again. Well, unless is a dealer only item. Let me tell you, when I replaced it, I thought that was the problem because I had low EGR flow pressure. But it turns out it was a port that was plugged on the intake (there abouts on the butterfly assembly ) Hope my post help you and many others

Old 07-09-2017, 08:48 PM

Also have a '96 Montero SR. The valve that every website says will work (VS127) won't fit. None of the other ones that I've found have the correct connector. I can't even make heads or tails of the parts websites, as there seems to be legit confusion as to what goes onto the 96 SR.

Did you ever find a resolution to this? Rockauto is wrong, amazon is wrong.. etc.

Last edited by MNalfa; 07-09-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:37 PM
Default EGR solenoid problem

Originally Posted by MNalfa
Also have a '96 Montero SR. The valve that every website says will work (VS127) won't fit. None of the other ones that I've found have the correct connector. I can't even make heads or tails of the parts websites, as there seems to be legit confusion as to what goes onto the 96 SR.

Did you ever find a resolution to this? Rockauto is wrong, amazon is wrong.. etc.
Well, I have had my share of incorrect parts from Rock Auto but I have an 02 Montero and must be very different than yours. Since you are having so many issues, are you sure it's a bad valve, cause if it's broken, you could JB weld it. And if it is bad then you should take a photo of the egr plug and tell a Dealer parts rep, that you would like to send him the "pic", along with your vin # to be certain you get the correct part and once you have a part # , you can shop around online. Cause a few Dealers have different prices . Well let me know if I can help any further.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:39 PM
Default EGR solenoid

Originally Posted by Astromam
Well, I have had my share of incorrect parts from Rock Auto but I have an 02 Montero and must be very different than yours. Since you are having so many issues, are you sure it's a bad valve, cause if it's broken, you could JB weld it. And if it is bad then you should take a photo of the egr plug and tell a Dealer parts rep, that you would like to send him the "pic", along with your vin # to be certain you get the correct part and once you have a part # , you can shop around online. Cause a few Dealers have different prices . Well let me know if I can help any further.
So I went online and checked the solenoid valve for your car.
And supposedly part # 911850 Fits monteros from 1997-02. This is the part I got myself and fits many mitsubishi. I would suggest to look for this # at rockauto just to figure out if it's the same you got. They have a 3D picture and it's a 2 prong plug . Hope this helps

Old 07-11-2017, 05:26 PM

Hi Astromam, thanks for the reply. I removed the solenoid causing the code (p0403) and I have a sinking feeling that its a california special thats no longer available. The solenoid you linked me to is the EGR Purge solenoids, but my rig has EGR 2 solenoids.

The one I'm looking for has k5t49586 stamped on the side of it. This translates to mr127232, which I can't find anywhere. Apparently, my dealership ordered the "Purge solenoid which has the wrong connector and mount.

the search continues...
it looks like this..

Old 07-11-2017, 09:04 PM
Default EGR solenoid problem

[QUOTE=MNalfa;320744]Hi Astromam, thanks for the reply. I removed the solenoid causing the code (p0403) and I have a sinking feeling that its a california special thats no longer available. The solenoid you linked me to is the EGR Purge solenoids, but my rig has EGR 2 solenoids.

The one I'm looking for has k5t49586 stamped on the side of it. This translates to mr127232, which I can't find anywhere. Apparently, my dealership ordered the "Purge solenoid which has the wrong connector and moun

the search continues...
it looks like this..

Just covering all the bases. Have you checked if you have voltage and ground on the plug, cause if you don't you might replace a good solenoid that has an electrical issue. You can ck with a cheap test light. If this is the case, you won't need the part. Try with ignition "on" to see which is what (pos or grd)

Old 07-12-2017, 12:03 AM

Just throwing this idea out there - what if you take a different solenoid and change the harness connector to make it fit the new style? I realize it is risky, but how about making an adapter to go from the old harness to new solenoid?

Last edited by HunterD; 07-12-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:38 AM
Default EGR Solenoid problem

Originally Posted by HunterD
Just throwing this idea out there - what if you take a different solenoid and change the harness connector to make it fit the new style? I realize it is risky, but how about making an adapter to go from the old harness to new solenoid?
You know , Hunter has a good point. And I can add to that. Now that I see what your solenoid looks like, you can get a generic solenoid with the blades and just plug the terminals, no need to make changes to the harness cause is very simple. Quite sure any other will work cause the ECM will send operating signals. Let us know how it turns out

Quick Reply: Help with EGR Solenoid for 1996 Montero SR