Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

HELP!!! I NEED Input i have a 01' montero sport ls

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 05:01 AM
Default HELP!!! I NEED Input i have a 01' montero sport ls

ok so i have a 2001 mitsubishi montero sport ls, its a 3.0 V6 DOHC or SOHC... i dont know 24V. the engine code is 6G72 and pretty much i was driving on the highway going about 60-65, and the next thing i know my car just wont keep speed, i step on the pedal a few times to see if the car would keep going but unfortunatly it didnt i had to pull over the side of the road, i opened the hood and i see something... pretty much from my assumption... it looks like the bolt that was holding the timing belt gear inplace... unscrewed itself??? oh yea i forgot to tell you that i have novice knowledge on cars, the timing belt is not snapped nor broke. and when you look at the engine its on the right side as if you were facing the car... here is a picture

Name:  engineproblem.jpg
Views: 8146
Size:  38.5 KB

so yeah... i know... its very sad and scary to see... but here's my question... interference??? i've been searching for the past 2 days... and i could not find out if it has interference with the internal parts of the engine... like for instance... pistons... valves... and etc. would someone or anyone please tell me...
i took the car to a automax which is a auto repair shop and they quoted me $2,400 max, which included parts and labor, which is the case if any internal parts are broken but if not than pretty much a lot less than $2,400.

i just need to know if there is interference problem, and if so than wish the best for me because this car is a lease...
oh yeah i dont know if i still have any type of warranty or not... please input. and much thanks any info is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Default RE: HELP!!! I NEED Input i have a 01' montero sport ls

Very strange. Have not heard of that particular problem.

As far as "interference" engine. Yes it is. So, you probably have bent valves. You might have a 7/70 warranty. I would check that out first.

How were you able to see the timing belt fall off? It is concealed by a a plastic cover?

Old 07-21-2006, 01:02 AM

when i looked under the hood... i can see that the timing belt plastic cover was cut by the gear which made a viewable cut to see both the belt, gear, and most of all... the bolt... so yea... my car does have interference huh... so yea has anyone heard anything like that happened before... and how do i go about checking out the warrenty thing for my lease vehicle...

Old 07-21-2006, 01:36 PM

First check your paperwork to see if you opted for an extended warranty. Next you can just call a Mitsu dealer and ask for the service department. Tell them you want to see if your car is still under warranty by running the vin number in their computer. And of course, what is the mileage of the truck?

Old 07-21-2006, 10:53 PM

the truck has like almost 75k on it... it was still running very strong until the timing belt thing happened...