Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

How to adjust hydraulic belt tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 08:55 PM
Default How to adjust hydraulic belt tensioner?

I replaced my water pump and had to remove the timing belt. I've now got all the timing notches in the correct position and the belt reinstalled, but I'm having a problem with setting the timing belt tension.

I compressed the pin on the hydraulic belt tensioner. However I removed the tensioner wheel and found that the bolt is not in the exact center. I am now having trouble getting the wheel in the correct position before I release the pin in the belt tensioner.

Does someone know of the correct procedure for putting the timing belt on? I'm also having trouble finding a repair manual for my 97 Montero Sport. Anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks In Advance,
Johnny

Old 11-15-2004, 06:51 PM
Default RE: How to adjust hydraulic belt tensioner?

The timing belt adjuster is preset and you can not adjust it.You have to replace the timing belt adjuster and your problem should be solved.

Old 01-31-2005, 03:33 PM
Default RE: How to adjust hydraulic belt tensioner?

Hey, that is not right. You need to compress the hydraulic tensioner. Then tighten the belt with that offcenter bolt thingy. Then release the hydraulic tensioner.