Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/)
-   -   How to Change Tranny Oil/Filter -- 1994 Montero SR (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-montero-montero-sport-14/how-change-tranny-oil-filter-1994-montero-sr-52946/)

1960StudebakerHawk 03-28-2019 07:54 PM

Gotta love that vicious (mean/bad-ass/bad to tha ba-ba-ba-bone) center differential on these babies.......you seem to know your stuff about these, and I will have to learn more with time. Yep, lets keep all that GL5 nice and stirred-up.......ha haaaaaa.

Marksroberts61 03-28-2019 07:57 PM

Lol!!! Love these things!

Amazing!

HunterD 03-30-2019 02:07 AM

Didn't know about GL5. Great advice, thanks for sharing. Marksroberts61 is 100% correct on the AWD system on our Monteros. It is designed for working on pavement. Plus, the manual actually specifies to have vehicle in 4H (AWD mode) whenever you are towing a trailer. I guess it spreads torque and stresses to all wheels instead of trying to twist just two half-axles.

1960StudebakerHawk 03-30-2019 06:19 AM

Good info. for sure.

pattyrice 02-01-2020 10:20 AM

2002 montero ticking

I am a female,(just so you could maybe explain to a dummy. lol) I just bought this 2002 montero xls the former owner did not take care of this car at all. Car is ticking/tapping has 208,000 miles. My question to you or somebody I changed oil and filter, air filter, pvc, spark plugs all fluids are topped off. I tried the vla adjustment didnt work, maybe just a little it did. I gave up after 10 times. The timing belt also seemed a little loose....idk im frustrated, and out of money HELP...Thanks:confused:

1960StudebakerHawk 02-01-2020 03:19 PM

PattyRice.......What is a VLA adjustment? Did you remove all the covers to access the timing belt? Maybe someone else with an early 2000 Montero can help.......I own 1994 Monteros.

HunterD 02-01-2020 09:07 PM

VLA is Valve Lash Adjuster. Newer Mobteros have hydraulic valve lash adjusters. If engine was run low on oil, or VLA are getting old, they get air inside them and compress a bit. That creates a gap between rocker arm and top of the valve. That results in "ticking" noise that is audible. There is a VLA bleed procedure that helps to re-pressurize VLAs. It solves the ticking noise, unless VLA is actually gone bad.

What grade of engine oil are you running? How much vakve ticking do you get? Is it worse with cold engine in the morning and gets better with engine ruining/higher rpm?

1960StudebakerHawk 02-02-2020 07:33 AM

Hunter....Interesting, I did not know about the hydraulic valve lash adjusters. So, this is not on my 94 Montero, and only started after about 2000? Reason I am asking is that one of my 94 Monteros does have a ticking sound, and right now I am just running a couple quarts of Marvel Mystery Oil with the normal oil, seeing if that might help with time. If it does apply to my 94s, then I will dig into the Shop Manual and try to understand the bleeding procedure/adjustment procedures.

HunterD 02-02-2020 05:10 PM

Hey StudebakerHawk, I think your Montero should have valve lash adjusters. Japanese manufacturers started using them long time ago. For example, my '84 Honda bike has them... From what I can see, Rockauto and couple other parts suppliers I use, do list VLAs (they call them valve lifters for both 3.0 and 3.5l engines for '94 year model. 3.5l version looks a little different from 3.0l and from later years, so I can't confirm that the bleed procledure is the same.

pattyrice 02-03-2020 01:41 AM

It is a 2002 Montero xls..It ticks/taps....Ive tried marvel mystery oil with oil change, I also tried the vla didnt work either. My friend took the timing cover off he said belt felt loose...idk i think i definately got screwed...I just bought the car for $1,900 2 weeks ago. I havent been able to drive it at all...I'm so bummed. Also the cel is on and P0300 and P0335 P0400....Anyone want to buy it..lol AND IT RUNS LIKE CRAP....H E L P