Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

How to Clean 94 Montero Sun Roof Drain Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 12:06 AM

I suppose it's possible, but I'd think it is less likely than just plain misalignment or not going all the way to the STOP position.
BTW, great idea on using the weed whacker string. I need to remember that when cleaning drains on my other vehicle.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:41 AM

Hunter.....Well, the sunroof operates smoothly and closes flush on the front edge, but just not popping all the way up on the rear edge. In this position, any rain will pool backwards toward that edge and go inside......and if the gutters/drain tubes can handle it, it drips down inside. In worse case, I may be able to make a couple wooden "wedges" to push in the rear to hold the rear of the glass up.
Water is a buddy of Rust, and we all despise that maggot scoundrel Rust.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:00 AM

How big is the gap that remains open? Does the sunroof seal against the rubber gaskets (just not flush with the top), or is there actually a physical gap that remains open?
I'm pretty certain that you are dealing with some limiter adjustment, unless there is something broken. Take a look at both sides of the roof channel mechanism to see if something doesn't look right.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:24 PM

Hunter......You can see in the pics I posted earlier that the rear length of the sunroof is sitting down about a half inch too deep, while the front edge is sitting flush/perfect as it should. Yep, the rubber gaskets along the outside edge of the sunroof are lining up properly, but its just the rear end of the sunroof does not "pop up" to become flush with the roof.
Another guy had this issue when I first joined this forum, but no one could answer his question.....and I have not found his post to go alert him of this "how to" discussion with pictures. Maybe he can shed more insight too.

I am buying another 94 SR today, and will compare both sunroofs......maybe will see something missing/different.

See ya.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:31 PM

On my 2001 model, the sunroof can be in two open positions: slide back into the roof opening (fully open), or tilted up at the back end while front is flush with the roof (vent position). The way it's designed is that when you close the roof and continue to move it forward, the back end raises to open in the venting position. It is operated by the electric motor and there are many stories of the motor "forgetting" where the closed position is and stopping at the wrong place. When that happens, the roof closes partially and stops before seating properly. Kind of just like what you have. I don't think it can go to the vent position at all when that happens, just starts backing up again to fully open. There is a procedure to re-calibrate proper closing position in this case. Do you know if your '94 suppose to have the same functionality (two open positions) in the sunroof?

Old 03-12-2019, 08:39 PM

Hunter......good information there. The 1994 sunroof only slides horizontally, back and forth. It does not have that "pop up" feature.

But for some additional insight: Today I bought another 94 SR, and the sunroof in the "closed position" is identical to the one in the pictures above.....they both are about a half inch lower in the rear, while the front edge is flush to the roof. So now I am thinking that maybe this is the way they were designed, and that the rubber seal is sealing out most of the water in this position, and any water that gets in goes straight down the drain tubes.

Further evidence is the same complaint from another owner of a 95 SR, who made a post a few weeks ago (but I cant find it now). Maybe all three of our SRs are actually in the correct position.....just our own "imagination" that the rear of the sun roof should go up and be flat with the roofline.
Maybe I need to go out and buy another old SR to confirm this theory?

Old 03-12-2019, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1960StudebakerHawk
Maybe I need to go out and buy another old SR to confirm this theory?
You know, you can just look at them with buying 😉

Old 03-13-2019, 07:09 AM

Hunter.......But if you go "look at em", then you just have to "buy em"........too dern perty to walk away from with just a look.
Ha haaaa
If I buy 10 1994 SRs, and all have the sunroof a bit lower along the rear edge, then I would say that mathematically my "theory" can become a scientific "law", and know hands-down that all Montero sunroofs are supposed to be lower in the back.

Or........................all 10 are not working right. Time to go buy a few more............

Old 03-18-2019, 11:12 AM

Montie Fever at it's worst!

Old 03-18-2019, 04:57 PM

jburney.......Yep, and there is no cure for this Monty Fever......ha ha. Getty Up, Hi Ho Silver, Away!

Quick Reply: How to Clean 94 Montero Sun Roof Drain Tubes