Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

how to feed the chain into the spares gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Default how to feed the chain into the spares gearbox

Can someone 'splain how to feed the chain into the spare tires raise and lowering gear box?
Is it a hand feed or does it require a spec tool cause I cant get the chain to catch and feed through the box.

On lowering the spare and about half way through ,the chain fell out of the gear box.

The chain should have some kinda safety stop placed on it .
it had 10 links to go when it fell out of the gear crank assy
and I cant get it back in.

Other mechanisms like this on other vehicles have always stopped automatically so as not to lose the chain feed.

Ive tried to re feed the end chain link into the + slots ,while someone else turns the chain sprocket for me .
Apparently I cannot seem to hold the link at the right angle or depth for the cog mechanism to catch the link.
Needle nose,screw driver etc havent worked as they dont stabelize a chain link at all.
Must be a special tool like needle nose with spec end grips that can grip a chain link so you can direct the link into the cog?

Has anyone been able to get the chain started?.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:06 PM

Oct 2012

No body ever had this issue?

Feeding the spare's support plate's chain into the spare's hoist mechanism.

I dabbed only the small contact area of each of 3 pairs of chain links with white roof coating which should give me enough ridged chain length to feed vertically into the gear hoist box when it firms up enough.
It may take a couple days to get firm enough so as not to leave a gooy roof coated mess inside the gear assy. Ill try it next week sun or mon .

Last edited by PalmSprings; 10-23-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Default Am I just another CONSPIRACY TERRORIST

The white roof coating dried worked great...but....the gear didnt.
Now i know the gear is broken. Get this: That spare had only been used one time since i bought it new. What a quality piece they put in !

When there is no chain inserted ,the worm gear and the chain hoist gear appear to work fine (peeking through the 2 little X holes for the chain)
Once the chain was inserted the worm gear grabbed the first link then just spun with no resistance or gear turning. The worm gear shaft on my end actually starts to lift out ( into ) the gear box.

You.d think now just reverse the process and the chain will come out. Nope!
iIt Took a 3 ft crow bar with a long pointy end to work the link out. Deep scars,dents in the last link from all the prying .
Have either that kind of bar or bolt/chain cutters.

looks like Im going to have to try removing the box.

I may just stop all this wasting of time and aggravation and take it into the dealer .
CONSPIRACIES (of all kinds) DO EXIST,
You do know that car manufacturers assemble things on you car so you will most likely bring it in or take to a shop.
This example is just one of many.

Originally Posted by PalmSprings
Oct 2012

No body ever had this issue?

Feeding the spare's support plate's chain into the spare's hoist mechanism.

I dabbed only the small contact area of each of 3 pairs of chain links with white roof coating which should give me enough ridged chain length to feed vertically into the gear hoist box when it firms up enough.
It may take a couple days to get firm enough so as not to leave a gooy roof coated mess inside the gear assy. Ill try it next week sun or mon .

Last edited by PalmSprings; 10-29-2012 at 03:31 PM.