Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

How to fix or disable alarm on 2000 full-size Montero

  #1  
Old 04-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Default How to fix or disable alarm on 2000 full-size Montero

The anti-theft system on my 2000 full-size Montero (not a Sport) is malfunctioning. My model looks like 1998 or a 1999.

The problem started when the battery went dead and I tried to jump-start it. Iíve owned this car since it was new and Iíve done this several times over the last ten years. I know that itís normal for the siren to blast off when I connect the jumper cables, and I know how to turn it off.

At least I thought I did.

But this time I canít turn it off. The only way to shut it up is to disconnect the battery terminal or to pull out the fuse under the hood. (But pulling the fuse only disables the siren Ė the starter is still disabled.)

The anti-theft system is a ďfactory systemĒ and afaik it came as standard equipment on all 2000 models. It appears to be OEMed from a company called Code Alarm (aka Audiovox). There is an LED status indicator/ momentary switch on the dashboard.

According to the manual (yes- I still have the manual) I should insert the key, turn the ignition switch clockwise to the ON position and then press the momentary switch. And I know that is correct because Iíve done it successfully several times before.

But this time it donít work! And the remote controls (I have two of them with fresh batteries) donít work either. They wonít lock or unlock the doors either.

If I allow the siren to scream it will eventually shut up (I think it times out after 30 seconds) but it will retrigger as soon as I do anything to disturb it. And if I allow it to time out it will drain the battery dead over the course of about eight hours (I even bought a new battery for the engine).

And hereís something really weird: as it drains the battery dead it appears to cause interference on my FM radio receiver in the house; but I canít confirm this for sure because it only happened once Ė so I might be wrong.

My local Mitsubishi dealer went out of business. The closest dealer is 35 miles away and itís going to cost me an arm and a leg just to get it towed. Fortunately the car is parked safely in my driveway

Anybody got any ideas on how I can fix this? Or some sort of work-around?

Check out this topic on another forum.

http://www.mitsubishi-forums.com/t30...-system-33.htm

It describes how to bypass the starter relay on an Eclipse. I would be happy if I could do this on my Montero.

Has anyone ever tried it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
 
  #2  
Old 04-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 362
Default

Hi:

My '99 has the same set up. My experience with battery changes etc has been the same as yours (was) but thankfully I have not had any problems. Seems like you've done some homework but here are a couple of thoughts:

1) Any chance that the LED/bushbutton is stuck on internally or disconnected? These are fragile switches and the wires get pulled pretty hard every time you remove the instrument panel pod.

2) The link you included on the fix for the other models would seem to be pretty close. These were fitted by the US importer and basically all aftermarket alarms of that era as far as I know had a simple starter cut out relay. The wiring harness connected to the alarm ECU will have some connectors that can be traced to the relay. Then it should be apparent where they cut the start wire and inserted the relay contacts. You may have checked but Audiovox has a site for downloading manuals here:


http://mobile.audiovox.com/audiovox/...GORY_CODEALARM


So if you can get the model number the installation diagram should show you which wires to follow to find the relay.

Alternately, you may be able to find an auto stereo installation shop closer than 35 miles and anyone who installs alarms should have no problem bypassing the starter cut out. Probably a lot easier and faster than a Mitsu dealer as this is not an OEM set up.


3) Finally, I can send you the wiring diagram of the stock (no alarm) starter circuit if you want to try to bypass straight from the switch to the solenoid (after disconnecting everything related to the alarm control module.) Do this at your own risk as there appear to be some other connections from the start contacts to the transmission and the ECU but if you want the diagram send me a PM with your e-mail.

Hope this helps.

Ron
 
  #3  
Old 04-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 362
Default

More info after looking at the wiring diagram.......

Apparently the factory anticipated the addition of a starter cut out relay and installed a connector in the start line. This may be hard to follow without a diagram but here's the wiring sequence - if you can find that connector you can easily restore the start circuit to the non-alarm version.

From the Start terminal of the key switch, the wire is Black & Red.
This goes directly to a 14 pin connector (C156) in the side of the driver's footwell. The manual shows only a general location and there appear to be about a dozen connectors of various sizes nearby but hopefully you can find it based on the wire colors and pin count

Anyway, that Black/Red wire from the key switch comes into pin 12 of this connector and right next to it (pin 13) is a blue/black wire that goes to the Neutral/Park cut-out switch on the transmission and then on to the starter solenoid.

On the non-alarm version, there is a yellow jumper wire connecting the two adjacent pins 12 and 13, thus completing the path to the solenoid.

So instead of having to cut the wire to install the alarm relay, the installer no-doubt just removed this yellow jumper and connected the relay contacts between pins 12 and 13 of this connector.

Removing the wires to the relay and restoring a jumper between 12 and 13 should put you back in business.

Still happy to send the diagram if you want. AND - if you're not familiar or comfortable making wiring mods to cars - don't mess with it. Take it to a shop with wiring experince. (Disclaimer)

Ron
 

Last edited by jrmdir; 04-19-2010 at 03:02 PM.
  #4  
Old 04-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Hey Ron, thanks a lot. I’m not at home now and I need to chew on your info – so give me a day or two. Fyi I have the 1998 factory service manuals from here:

http://www.mitsubishilinks.com/

The manual describes the “keyless entry system” but there is no mention of any anti-theft system. It’s written as if the alarm doesn’t exist.
Originally Posted by jrmdir View Post
1) Any chance that the LED/pushbutton is stuck on internally or disconnected? These are fragile switches and the wires get pulled pretty hard every time you remove the instrument panel pod.
Yes! Yes! As a matter of fact yes! Sorry - I didn’t mention it in my original post because I wanted to avoid “information overload”.

What happened was this: the very first time I pressed the pushbutton the mounting bezel crushed and I inadvertently pushed the whole assembly into the dashboard. I unscrewed the three screws that hold the pod (the manual calls it a “Meter Bezel Assembly”) and lifted it up off the dash – so now when I press the button it isn’t anchored to anything. I will eventually need to fix it – but I thought it was secondary.

Can a malfunctioning pushbutton bring the whole alarm system down? (Don’t forget – my remotes aren’t working either.) I just assumed it is a normally open single pole switch – and as such the worst it could do is ‘not conduct’. But I will take your advice and check it out.

Here’s a related question: Can a malfunctioning “keyless entry system” bring down the alarm system? Fwiw I can still lock and unlock the doors electronically using the button on the driver’s armrest.

Originally Posted by jrmdir View Post
2) The link you included on the fix for the other models would seem to be pretty close. These were fitted by the US importer and basically all aftermarket alarms of that era as far as I know had a simple starter cut out relay. The wiring harness connected to the alarm ECU will have some connectors that can be traced to the relay. Then it should be apparent where they cut the start wire and inserted the relay contacts. You may have checked but Audiovox has a site for downloading manuals here:

http://mobile.audiovox.com/audiovox/...GORY_CODEALARM

So if you can get the model number the installation diagram should show you which wires to follow to find the relay.
Right. Been there and (almost) done that – but I can’t find an exact corresponding model. My remote controls look like the two-button remotes for the CA110, but the behavior of my alarm doesn’t fit squarely into any specific Code-Alarm model category. It’s most like a CA100 or a CA110. Fwiw I googled around and it looks like the 2000 Subaru Impreza and Forester used the same system as my Montero.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#code%20alarm

Originally Posted by jrmdir View Post
I can send you the wiring diagram of the stock (no alarm) starter circuit if you want to try to bypass straight from the switch to the solenoid (after disconnecting everything related to the alarm control module.) Do this at your own risk as there appear to be some other connections from the start contacts to the transmission and the ECU but if you want the diagram send me a PM with your e-mail.
Yes please do. I’ll PM you with my address.

Originally Posted by jrmdir View Post
Apparently the factory anticipated the addition of a starter cut out relay and installed a connector in the start line. This may be hard to follow without a diagram but here's the wiring sequence - if you can find that connector you can easily restore the start circuit to the non-alarm version.

From the Start terminal of the key switch, the wire is Black & Red.

This goes directly to a 14 pin connector (C156) in the side of the driver's footwell. The manual shows only a general location and there appear to be about a dozen connectors of various sizes nearby but hopefully you can find it based on the wire colors and pin count

Anyway, that Black/Red wire from the key switch comes into pin 12 of this connector and right next to it (pin 13) is a blue/black wire that goes to the Neutral/Park cut-out switch on the transmission and then on to the starter solenoid.

On the non-alarm version, there is a yellow jumper wire connecting the two adjacent pins 12 and 13, thus completing the path to the solenoid.

So instead of having to cut the wire to install the alarm relay, the installer no-doubt just removed this yellow jumper and connected the relay contacts between pins 12 and 13 of this connector.

Removing the wires to the relay and restoring a jumper between 12 and 13 should put you back in business.
Let me chew on this. I need my car and that manual in front of me.

Originally Posted by jrmdir View Post
if you're not familiar or comfortable making wiring mods to cars - don't mess with it. Take it to a shop with wiring experience. (Disclaimer)
I’m not a mechanic, but I actually design low-voltage circuits for a living and write embedded firmware for microcontrollers. My biggest problem is that I’m color blind and have trouble with resistor color codes and color-coded cable assemblies.


I’ll send you that PM next - then I’ll post back here with an update once I see what’s going on.
 

Last edited by Chronic Honker; 04-19-2010 at 06:23 PM.
  #5  
Old 09-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1
Default

Reading the above I assume the answer to this is NO but will ask anyway: is it possible using the remote key, ignition key system, the door or window button method of locking the car: CAN THE MONERO be locked without setting the alarm?
Thanks.
 
  #6  
Old 03-09-2013, 01:07 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ATL, USA
Posts: 10
Default Code Alarm CA-110 Installation Guide.

I know this post is 3 + years old, but I don't see any follow up or updates saying if the recommendations resolved the issue. I'm having the EXACT same issue with my 98 Montero. I'm at 180k and she's started to reveal multiple issues that are not fatal, but just large headaches. There are 6 of us that have been sharing 1 car of the last 8 days while my Montero takes a rest in my driveway failing to start. I disconnected the alarm siren several months ago since I had broken/lost the key FOBS. The push button led is stuck pushed in so this may be the problem causing my truck not to start.

Can the original author provide any updates?

This is the Code Alarm CA-110 Installation Guide. I hope this helps someone out.

CA-110 Installation Instructions

Thanks!
 

Last edited by treeeluva; 03-11-2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: additional info provided
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
skibumintahoe
Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport
3
09-17-2014 09:40 PM
navidbe
Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport
1
01-29-2014 09:56 PM
UltraSmooth
Mitsubishi Outlander
4
01-20-2011 07:21 PM
jacks28
Mitsubishi Endeavor
0
10-01-2010 07:56 PM
bauhaus92
Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport
8
03-13-2008 06:00 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to fix or disable alarm on 2000 full-size Montero


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.