Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

How to replace Rusty Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 09:34 PM
Default Donors

Yep! Upgrade rear axle with locker, air pump for same, locker control module, plus every other bit that we scavenged, all for $700. Tranny, interior trim pieces, transfer case, wheels, gauges, left it a shell, lol!!

Old 04-08-2019, 09:44 PM
Default Donors

Btw, she actually was crazy, no quotes. We got into a final arguement one night, I left, and 36 hours later I was on a train with a ticket for 800 miles away. I left behind a Chevy Duramax and a 45-year accumulation of tools, as well as a lot of other stuff... and never regretted it for a second!

Then, several months later she followed through on our deal on my Montero (3 days after I already bought my other one, lol!!), I guess she didn't need 3 of them! I certainly do, lol!!!

Old 04-09-2019, 06:31 AM

Mark.....You were on that parts Monty like a buzzard on a carcass......nuttin but a pile of bones left when you left. But you got alot of bang for the buck for sure.

Speak of air locker.......one of my 94s (SR model) with the rear lock has the following issue: I put the tranny into the 4x4LLC, tranny in neutral, and push the air locker button.....compressor runs and keeps running, but the locker is not engaging. I think it must be a rotten hose/line going to the pumpkin......you agree, or you think it could be something else? When I crawled under, the line is pretty bad, and also alot of rust where it bolts into the pumpkin. Guess I just need to be under the car and spray some suds on the line while some knucklhead turns on the button for me, and look for bubbles. I think the compressor only puts out about 8lbs, but might be able to see a leak.

Locker air line where it is held by the floor brace: A few bends and it will snap right off:

Where the line plugs into the Pumpkin: Pumpkin has seen one too many Halloweens and taken the abuse of the brooms of one too many crazy witches...ha ha:

You think I can still order this entire air locker air line?

Old 04-09-2019, 06:34 AM

Mark......that train ticket that led you down the rails of peace and freedom has paid for itself a million times over already......at least in my opinion. The "crazies" out there can be like leeches and just suck all your sanity and wealth away in no time. Its either sending them off on that train ride, or taking the train for oneself.......either way, it is for the best.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:23 AM
Default Locker

Hey Hawk,
Thanks for the kind thoughts and words!!

About that rust, I would get under that rig and chip or wire brush (needle gun?!?) all of that crust out of there to see what is going on. Slather on some rust converter and give it a coat of paint or bedliner and stop the madness!!!

That air line is low pressure and can either be made or bought, but i would be stunned if it held air the way that it looks. If its holding air, try letting the rig roll backwards about ten feet while engaging.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:37 PM

Mark.....Yep, I have plans to clean up the rust and paint. Also need to drop the gas tank so I can weld a piece of metal to the rear section of the frame since it has a large rust hole in it. On my "to do list" for sure.

Is it hard to get to the air compressor......I assume it is under the rear seat, maybe accessible thru that secret door panel on the right side (opposite the door panel for the jack). Since the compressor keeps running, there must be a leak in the line. Whats the simple test to see if the rear lockers are working?

Old 04-09-2019, 11:39 PM
Default Air compressor

Hard? No. Just peel back the carpet after taking out the rear seats, and the cover with the two access doors (left and right, jack and open storage) is just a few bolts from being removed. You will then see the rear locker air pump in all of its glory, sitting in the right side of the cubbyhole, awaiting your attention.

You could easily run a new, all rubber, or silicone (preferred), line, all of the way to the rear pumpkin. While you are in there, run an extended breather tube up the D pillar behind the rear side window.

Last edited by Marksroberts61; 04-09-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:14 AM

Oakkie Doakkie......sounds like a good low-intensity work out, and beats being down under with rust chips falling in my eyes. You mean run an extended breather tube from the ole Pumpkin upwards and higher than the existing breather tube? (No breather tube for that wee little air compressor, right?). While squirming underneath and blasting all the connections/bolts with PB Blaster, I did notice that the Pumpkin breather tube seemed to go upward to that 3" round frame tube.......which would mean that if you go the rear tires under water, that water would flow down that tube and straight to the Pumpkin innards.

Rubber line connecting to that rusty 3" pipe:

Hey.....maybe run it all the way to the roof, and fabricate a baby-sized snorkel for it.....ha haaa.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:11 AM
Default Breather

Yep, that's the one! I love the idea of the baby snorkel, maybe we can get ARB to make some for us!

Old 04-10-2019, 04:04 PM

Mark.....there you go.....the new "ARB Pumpkin Snorkel", and we get to split 50% of the profits with them.
You ever watch the Aussie Bloaks and their show "4Wheel Drive Action"? Their videos are on youtube, and commercial free, about 1 hour long......bloody good fun watching them drive their "Dirty Thirty", Isuzu, Shorty, etc. up/down those insane trails. Great cooking/food/4Xs at the campsite too!

Heres the link to their site......just click on the "Video" tab and kick back and enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=4wd+action

Quick Reply: How to replace Rusty Brake Lines