Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Installed New Battery-Alarm won't allow me to crank

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 04:50 PM
Default Installed New Battery-Alarm won't allow me to crank

I'm new to this forum. Hello. This probably has been talked about before many times (but I can't find my situation). I own a 1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport v6 3.5 L; its a four wheel drive (not that it matters for this post).

I recently had to change out a dead battery in my Montero. No problems there as I've done that before. I've even had to trick the alarm system to allow me to crank my own vehicle after swapping or disconnecting the battery before. Not this time. I can't get this stupid thing to recognize the key. I know its the alarm system. The only thing that is different is that my airbags have been deployed (minor accident) since last time I replaced the battery. The SRS light in the instrument panel has been lighted since the accident...

Is there someone here that can walk me through either 1) tricking the alarm to recognize that I'm not stealing my own car, or 2) helping me disconnect the alarm or the fuse causing me my headaches. I really don't care if the alarm is permanently disabled.

ANY help would be much appreciated. This vehicle has been collecting dust in my driveway since the weekend and I really need to be able to crank and drive it.

Last edited by Keith R. Dale; 04-20-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:14 AM

Anyone?

Old 04-21-2021, 09:21 PM

No sorry. No idea.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:25 PM

It was definitely an alarm issue keeping me from cranking my Montero after replacing my battery (and probably a couple other error codes). One mechanic locally suggested that I disconnect the battery and touch the positive and negative battery terminals together for at least 5 seconds (I did this 10 seconds). The logic is to drain the juice from capacitors in the truck to reset the computer (ECM); also had the key in the ignition turned to ACC. It’s a shade tree mechanic trick to clear the codes.

I did this then left the key in the ACC position and reconnected my fully charged battery. The alarm went off again, but I turned the key to crank it within 2 to 3 seconds after connecting battery. It fired right up.

I took it for a test drive right after. No issues.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:47 PM

Nice trick. Never heard of this technique, but it does make sence. Thank you for sharing. Glad you were able to get it running.