Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Intermittent Starter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 06:20 PM
Angry Intermittent Starter Problem

I have a 1997 Montero Sport, V6, manual transmission, off road package, with about 190,000 miles on it. It has developed a strange starter problem.

I parked it at the airport for one week, and when I returned it wouldn’t start. The starter would do nothing, but the lights, windows, and radio worked fine. AAA tried to jump start it, and nothing happened so it was taken home on a flat bed.
It was parked in front of the house for a couple of weeks, and then it started.
It started for a while, then it wouldn’t start again.
A mechanic friend suggested I replaced starter relay, which I did, and it started.
It started for a while, then it wouldn't start again, although it would compression start (I live on a hill).
My mechanic friend suggested I give the starter a few good wacks with a hammer, so I did, and it started.
Then the starter was replaced, and it started for a while, and then it wouldn't start again.
I don't drive it all the time, so it may sit for a week or two or three at a time. Whenever the starter doesn't start, all the other electronics work fine, and it will compression start. Then it seems to work for a while, until it sits for a while, until the other day.
It wouldn't start so I compression started, but then it wouldn't restart later that day, and I wasn't on a hill to compression start it. So I hit new starter with a hammer and it started.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on with my starter/electrical system, or is my Mitsi possessed?

Old 09-13-2016, 12:27 AM

Well, look at it this way, if your Monterowas possessed, the solution would be an easy one - sprinkle some Holy water on the engine, say a payer and off you go. If this does not work, then you are having an electrical issue
You need to get a multimeter and a friend to help you. You need to trace back the wiring from the starter to the ignition switch. When a friend turns the key, check if you are having voltage at the starter. If not, move back up the line - starter solenoid, interlock switches, ignition switch, etc. One important (and often overlooked thing) is the Parking/Neutral interlock switch. If it sticks, it will prevent starter from energizing. You will have voltage at the ignition switch, but none at the solenoid in this case

Old 09-13-2016, 11:26 AM

Thanks Hunter. I've passed your suggestion along to my mechanic. I think the holy water solution would be easier than diagnosing the cause of an intermittent electrical problem.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ken Bauer
...I think the holy water solution would be easier than diagnosing the cause of an intermittent electrical problem.
Wouln't i be great if it was only that easy

Old 09-15-2016, 05:21 AM

With a manual transmission is there a safety switch requiring it be in neutral and/or the clutch depressed in order for the starter to be energized?

I know on my automatic, I have had instances where the starter would do nothing until I put my foot on the brake, shifted out of park into gear (motor dead) then shifted hard back to park. Then the starter would work.