Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Just bought '03 Montero Sport, won't go into 4WD...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Default Just bought '03 Montero Sport, won't go into 4WD...

Hello everyone,

I am new here, and just bought myself a 2003 Montero Sport LS this evening from a local dealership. I LOVE it, it is such an amazing truck. So comfortable, smooth, and damn does it look nice. I noticed on the test drive that the thing just WOULD NOT go into 4WD mode, no matter how hard the salesman and myself tried. It is stuck in AWD mode. I tried with the truck rolling, parked, in neutral, etc. The shifter moves, and I can feel it vibrate when the truck is driving, but it won't move more than maybe 1/8" in any direction. I tried pushing down on the shifter, pulling up on it, etc, etc. It just won't move... I read the manual, and it didn't really help.. I got the extended bumper to bumper warranty on the truck, so the dealership said to bring it by sometime next week and their guys would put it up on a lift and fix it for me, but I figured I'd find an online community to maybe shed some light on this issue. Has anyone else had this same problem, or is there something I am missing? A clutch or button or something to enable the 4WD shifter?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Old 06-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Default RE: Just bought '03 Montero Sport, won't go into 4WD...

[sm=welcomesign.gif]
Nice to hear that another person is enjoying what I have found to be a great SUV. I don't think it has a huge problem, but the previous owner may not have used 4x4 much.

I had an issue that is similar to yours, I was trying to get into 4-H (previously had no issues) and the stickwouldn't move up to 4-H and in the process I couldn't move it back down to where it normally was for AWD.

It seemed stuck andthe light was not on for 4-H so I assumed AWD. Had to take it to the dealer (no I didn't fix it, I wanted to though...service manual is expensive ) and they had to "realign" the linkage for that shifter. This envolved taking out the middle counsel and that shifter assembly, and retightening all of the rods and connections.

Cost me $200+ (labor only), should be a free for you if this is the issue. Good Luck, post back when you figure it out!

Old 06-24-2007, 08:23 AM

generally, montero sports had a problem with the transfer case switches. often, the trucks were going into 4wd... its just that the lights arent working.
there is nothing electronically actuated on the AWD/4WD sports, so when you engage 4WD its in 4WD. The failure is from the mode switches on top of the transfer case.

those switches have been a problem for years, as they WOULD cause no 4WD on the older 2WD/4WD sports. Those systems had an electronically actuated from axle, which wouldnt work.

if you want your lights to work, you need to replace one (or both) of the AWD/4WD switches.

actually, you can often get them to work by shifting the transfer case a couple hundred times.

now, on the other hand, if your level isnt moving, you have a different issue that involves the shifter itself.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

generally, montero sports had a problem with the transfer case switches. often, the trucks were going into 4wd... its just that the lights arent working.
there is nothing electronically actuated on the AWD/4WD sports, so when you engage 4WD its in 4WD. The failure is from the mode switches on top of the transfer case.

those switches have been a problem for years, as they WOULD cause no 4WD on the older 2WD/4WD sports. Those systems had an electronically actuated from axle, which wouldnt work.
Well I guess it is time to take mine in, unless the switches are easy/cheap?

We finally got some snow in Denver...but when I put it in 4-H the light is flickering and after a while isn't visible at all. It feels like it is in 4-H (center-diff locked in turns) and 4-L is working great (light is fine), but after driving a bit I couldn't see the 4-Hlight anymore. Let's hope it isn't working fine when I go in, lol...

Old 06-06-2012, 09:17 PM

I have exactly the same issue - bought a 2003 Montero Sport XLS didn't try the four wheel drive and when I did ( after I'd paid for it) it didn;t work. I changed the transfer case fluid and did what "Manybrews" suggested - put it in neutral and work the transfer handle and I now have 4L all the time and 4H some of the time. So I'll give it a bit longer before I change the switches.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:20 PM

Quick Update. I now have full 4H and 4L whenever I select it by repeatedly switching it between drive selections as Manybrews suggested. Its taken a month of doing it but its all good now. I now exercise the four wheel drive system whenever I fill up so that the switches don't get stuck.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:28 AM

Hey there peeps....I have an 04 XLS 4X4 and I too have a problem but as for me, my problem is I CAN get into 4H and 4L...when I try to shift into AWD none of the gears engage...not even park. As soon as I put them in any gear I get nothing I'm as if I'm in netrual BUT when I shift it into 4H or 4L it works fine as though nothings wrong...I could sure use some help here guys...cause I'll be driving up to Washington soon...thanks

Donovan

Old 11-03-2012, 07:44 AM

Hey there peeps....I have an 04 XLS 4X4 and I too have a problem but as for me, my problem is I CAN get into 4H and 4L...when I try to shift into AWD none of the gears engage...not even park. As soon as I put them in any gear I get nothing I'm as if I'm in netrual BUT when I shift it into 4H or 4L it works fine as though nothings wrong...I could sure use some help here guys...cause I'll be driving up to Washington soon...thanks

Donovan

Old 11-04-2012, 08:15 PM

Hi Donovan,

I'm just learning the Montero so not sure I can help much, but just to be clear, when you select ANY AWD drive position you have no wheel drive -OR - is it just the lights (1,2,3,D.N,P) that don't come on but it will drive?

It would seem that in order for the vehicle to drive in 4H or 4L, it must be actually selecting and engaging a drive function, because all the 4H or 4L selection is doing is routing the drive through the appropriate transfer case selection. If there's no drive to the transfer case from the A/T it can't drive in H or L. "Manybrews" ??

If it's all the selector lights you might have a blown fuse or the rheostat is failed - check around for any other lights that are not on. Wish I could be more help.

Big Joe