Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Keyless fob problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 10:46 PM
Default Keyless fob problems

Hey all,
I just purchased a used 2001 Montero Sport ES a couple of months ago; having fun getting to know it. One thing I'm puzzling with are the keyless remote fobs.
When I got the vehicle, one fob worked and the other didn't...I went through some online tutorials about shorting pin 1+4, turning the key to ACC 3 times and resetting the fobs...that seemed to work (for a while).
One thing that bothered me, though (pet peeve) is that it chirped the alarm system when it locked/unlocked...I just want it to lock/unlock the doors- I'm not an alarm system fan. I figured I'd someday figure out how to program that out (if possible), but in the meantime, the fobs stopped working. I put new CR2032 batteries in both fobs, so I know it's not the fobs. Went through the reporgramming steps again, but to no avail.
Then, haphazsardly, every once in a while, the fobs work...AND now simply lock/unlock the doors (when they work) and DOESN'T chirp the alarm! Wish I knew how I got that to work, or if it's just a fluke.

I also noticed after I purchased the car, there is a small red push-button down low by the driver's left leg...I think it has to do with the alarm system, but can't find any documentation on it; is that standard issue, or an aftermarket attachment? There is also (probably related) a small black box affixed to the windshield, near the rear view mirror, with a small wire coiled loosely around the rear view mirror mounting bracket. I presume this is the receiver unit for the keyless remote?? Does anyone else have this?

Somewhere along the way, I've tried various patterns of holding in the red button and doing the ignition key to ACC 3 times (which gives the proverbial chirp to alert that it's in programming mode, even though I don't have pins 1+4 strapped.?.) and have noticed that the red light on the dash (that lights every time a door is opened) now stays on constantly, which is annoying. [I repeated the 'hold the red button/flash the ignition 3 times process, and at least have the red dash 'door' light behaving 'normally', i.e. only comes on when there is a door opened]

So it's not an exact science, and though I've read the threads about 'take it to the dealer' or 'replace the ECU' I'm not sure if any of those are valid, until I determine if the 'red button/black box' are part of factory equipment or aftermarket installation?