Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Maintenence?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:55 PM
Default Maintenence?

I am 15 going to be getting my drivers liscense soon and I have my vehicle search narrowed to a Land Rover or a Mitsubishi Montero I was wondering is maintaning a Montero reasonable?[sm=bling.gif] I am would be perchasing a 05 or an 06 if that makes a difference

Old 12-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Default RE: Maintenence?

LR vs Montero? I know my brother-in-law who's mechanic and a native of Scotland would shoot me if I bought an LR. Well he wouldn't shoot me but will simply shake his head and make bets on when my first trip to the mechanic would be.

If that doesn't sway you, be sure to get the EXTENDED warranty on any LR you might get. If you buy an older used LR then just start saving your pennies for the trips to the mechanic's.

FWIW, I'd buy a SWB D90 in a heartbeat even with the unreliability if they were reasonably priced. Unfortunately (or fortunately), they're not.

Old 01-01-2007, 04:04 PM

so in relation to maintaining the montero would there be any reason why i shouldnt perchase it?

Old 01-02-2007, 03:04 AM

Well..I have a 2001 montero sport..I bought it with 40,000 miles on it..I have literally beat the hell out of it..I used it on a paper route..Hauling newspapers 7 days a week in it for a yr..It now has 90,000 and all I have done is routine oil changes and brake jobs out the wazoo(Doing tune up and timing belt change right now)..I would buy another in a heart beat!

Old 01-02-2007, 12:52 PM

well if there are no objections i guess i will have my parents perchase me a montero very soon. Thanks for the input. if theres anything else anyone wants me to know about the montero dont hessitate to post.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:40 AM

owning both a lr discovery and a montero i can say that the mitsubishi is far more reliable and parts are cheaper. im not sure of your mechanical skill level or your intentions with the vehicle.however, lr,s are very expensive to maintain if you rely on mechanics other than yourself to maintain and repair. especially if you have to make atrip to the dealer! that being said, i do all of myown repairs and maintenance and absolutley love the lr. it is mainly used as an offroader while the montero ismore of a dd. the lr, i will say, is very easy to work on.

i have owned the montero since 50k and at 140kishi have yet to replace anything on it. the only real problem it has given me is the one i am currently having (see other post). so it would all depend on: how deep is you/parents wallet? what is your intended use of the vehicle andhow mechanically inclined are you. but just the fact that you are 16 yrs old screams mitsubishi just for the better gas mileage, cheaper maintenance and cheaper insurance...afterall, youll be wanting to spend your time looking up skirts and experimenting with drugs and alcohol....not working for gas and parts all the time...

enjoy

Old 01-09-2007, 04:47 AM
Banned

Finally a post where you dont say something untrue... keep it that way