Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

McGard Wheel Lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Default McGard Wheel Lock

Recenly purchased my 99 Montero. I cannot get the wheel off due to a McGard wheel lock. What are my options to get a new wheel lock key? (without having to spend a ton)

Old 09-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Default RE: McGard Wheel Lock

go to your local dealer. have them match it up with their master kit.
then have them order you a new one.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:00 AM

I've never seen a McGard reseller with a master key set. Buying the keys from McGard will be the least expensive unless you can replace your lugs for less. What I mean is you can break off the wheel lock and replace your broken studs.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:25 PM

all mitsu dealers have a master kit for the McGard wheel locks that were OEM equipment. there are only 10 different locks used by mitsubishi.
our shop has 2 kits, and I purchased one myself (although thankfully those locks are becoming more and more rare).
so go to your local dealer and have them match one up.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

all mitsu dealers have a master kit for the McGard wheel locks that were OEM equipment. there are only 10 different locks used by mitsubishi.
our shop has 2 kits, and I purchased one myself (although thankfully those locks are becoming more and more rare).
so go to your local dealer and have them match one up.
Cool. Didn't know they started using McGard locks at the dealers. I know earlier models (Gen II and earlier?) don't have wheel locks stock.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:31 PM

Cool. Didn't know they started using McGard locks at the dealers. I know earlier models (Gen II and earlier?) don't have wheel locks stock.
ALL of mitsus wheel locks have always been made by McGard, even though they probably arent marked as such.
starting with the 92 model year, I believe.

the only car in the mitsu lineup not to use one of the 10 mitsu/McGard locks is the new Raider, which does use McGard locks, but a chrysler type.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

ALL of mitsus wheel locks have always been made by McGard, even though they probably arent marked as such.
starting with the 92 model year, I believe.
Interesting. My Gen I's both came with a wheel lock for the spare that used the ignition key.[sm=shades.gif]

As for locks on your wheels/tires, unless you live in a really bad area and/or have either racing (OZ, BBS, Fitipaldi, etc.) or total "bling" rims, then I doubt you'd need them but I guess its better to be safe than sorry. I also obviously a pain in the you know what when you loose that key.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:36 PM

Just take a cold chisel and hold it at an angle, tap lightly a couple times and the lock will unscrew nicely. It is hard to describe how to hold the chisel with words. Just angle it in a way that would unscrew the nut. However, this will destroy the wheel lock. Wheel locks are useless. They provide zero added protection to your wheels.