Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero Alarm Bypass - Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 12:24 AM
Default Montero Alarm Bypass - Please Help!

We have a 98 Montero Sport. My friend accidentally threw the only set of keys with the remote to the factory installed alarm in the lake last week. She has gone to the dealership and had a spare key made, which she was told would bypass the alarm system. Surprise! The dealership lied and not only does the alarm start screaming when we open the door (the key does work to open the door and fits in the ignition), but it won't start the engine. Does anyone know how we can bypass the alarm? The only other option according to the dealership is to purchase a new $180.00 remote - we would rather this be our VERY last option. Please help, any instructions or other ideas would be extremely welcome.
Thanks

Old 09-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Default RE: Montero Alarm Bypass - Please Help!

I went through the same problem. I managed to by pass alarm by removing the "kill ignition" fuse. It's located or hangs down the steering column. It's accesible. Once you remove the fuse you'll need to start your car by holding down the LED from your alarm as you turn the key. If you have any questions you can email me. I doubt I return to the forum any time soon. I found the answer I was looking for. I registered only cause I remember how the dealership tried to overprice a replacement remote. They actually go for about 60 dollars... That is if they know you're not helpless without one. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:07 AM

I have a 1997 Montero SR with factory alarm and there is a red LED on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. When my remote doesn't work and the alarm goes off I just turn the key in the ignition and press down on the LED to defeat the alarm. Hope that helps.

Old 09-20-2005, 11:21 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for this post.. it saved my butt this past weekend!