Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Default Montero Electrical Issues

Have a 2003 Montero Full Size. The high beams, running lights, wiper speed and washer do not work. Running light only work when lights are all the way on. Low beams work fine. Wipers only have one speed, low and no washer. Rear washer works fine as well as rear washer. Have taken it to a local shop who advises to take it to a Mishubishi shop. Have checked all fuses. Everything seems to be intact. Before I open up my wallet and let them take what they want, anyone have any ideas. I'm thinking turn stack combination switch. Thanks

Old 03-30-2009, 03:58 PM

probably damaged communication bus wiring.
has the car been in a wreck?

Old 03-30-2009, 04:17 PM

Yes, right after we got it in 2003. We are the original owners. Front end took a whooping hit. Basicaly everything in front of the front doors got replaced. Bodyshop had the vehicle for several months. Almost a total job, just shy of a few grand from that happening. Vehicle has run flawless since then. No problems have cropped up, not saying none ever would. Have 140K on the ODO. Wife drives it like a battle tank! The shop that we take it too recommend we take it to the Mitsu place. They have closed up all of them, so it's going to be a real hike from here. Mentioned a computer flash? Since when does the computer control the high beams, parking lights, wiper speed and washer motor? The ironc part was wife used the vehicle the jump start one of our others while I was away. When I asked her if she crossed the connection she said that she did not hear anything. I told her that a sonic bang was not in the picture. I'll try looking in the engine bay again to see if any wires are out of place or some animal may have had a snack. Thanks

Old 03-30-2009, 05:22 PM

the front ECU controls the lighting and wiper functions. It communicates with the column ECU via a LIN line. it should run through the left fender.
I doubt you'll know what Im talking about in regards to this, but i would bet the wiring had some insulation damage during the crash, and it took a couple years for moisture to damage it due to corrosion.

Incidently, nearly every car on the market (and most for the last 10 years) have all lighting functions controlled via solid state computers. Its not new. actually, nearly EVERY function of the car is controlled via solid state control units.
it is a far, far better way to do it. it allows multiple functions to be controlled via one (or 2) wires.
the schematic shows what Im talking about. Theres a violet wire (marked with a "V") that is the single line of communication between the two ecus.
Id bet its broken due to corrosion. But you wont be able to see it without tearing the car apart.

Attached Thumbnails Montero Electrical Issues-head.jpg   Montero Electrical Issues-head2.jpg  

Last edited by Manybrews; 03-30-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Default Montero Electrical Cont...

OK, just got the Montero back today from the Mistsu Dealer. They had it almost 2 weeks. Here is what they found. Combination switch was bad, it has an ecu built into it. That controls the head lights, wipers, ect... The e-tac was also bad, I don't know if the two were separate issues or one failed and the other followed. Also since the vehicle was in an accident three years ago and 60K later, previous damage that was not fixed was spotted in the fender well. Also air bag idiot light was cut. Clock spring on air bag not replaced properly! Hum... I smell a rat. Insurance was called they sent 3 reps out to look at the damage. No one admits fault. And says the vehicle has 60K on it, symptoms would have shown up sooner. Harness that comes out of the left fender was found to have several cuts in the harness and smashed. Guess I was bored one day and decided to do just that! Problem is I can’t remember doing that!! Total bill was $2,526.60 So I'm driving home everything seems to be in working order. I look over at the display over the radio. I'm almost home. Outside temp is right, clock is right, HVAC air flow is right, but the miles until empty says: _ _ _ _. WTF! Its two freaking hours back to the shop. Anyone got any suggestions before I blow a gasket? I want to make one hell of a phone call and make them come and get the truck! I took 4 hours off work today!!

Old 04-21-2009, 06:45 PM

you need to have more than 7 gallons in the tank for that to work after power is removed.