Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

montero engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Default montero engine swap

I have had it. I still have a miss at an idle-replaced plugs, plug wires, cleaned injectors. It's a 1995 Montero SR 3.5L. I'm looking at a swap maybe a Chevy 4.3 V6. any ideas?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Default Check the coils

Did you check the coils? Do you have a miss at speed (above idle)? check/clean your engine grounds, clean the battery posts/clamps. I have had a miss like that and it was a bad ground causing the miss.
Rob

Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 PM

You make no sense elkhutr. In your last thread here...

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=33496

you complain about the $80 price for a coil. But you are willing to go to the complication and expense of a full engine swap with a...a...a...Chevy? WTF? Take your Montero to a qualified Mitsu technician (read: dealer) and pay them to get it fixed right. Why the hell would you want to replace one of these beautifully designed and incredibly durable engines with something from General Motors? If you don't want a Mitsu, dump the Montero and go buy one of those gawd-awful Trailblazers. Or better yet, and Equinox.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Default Multi-meter

4x4 is right, do a $$$$ engine swap with a GM lump? If you like your Monty then Ohm out the coil(s) and see which one is the culprit. Check the wiring to the coils. Check the grounds. Spend the money to do the job right and you will be happy.
Rob

Old 10-07-2009, 12:48 AM

I'll sell you plans for a GM crate motor swap for $495. Is the back of a napkin ok?

Seriously, take the good advice you've been given here. These engines are not prone to misfiring and the cause should be easy to remedy with the right diagnostic tools - like those that certified Mitsu mechanics have.

Even if another engine would fit (extremely doubtful) do you have any idea what you're getting yourself in to? Custom exhaust, custom wiring harness, fabricated engine mounts and gearbox adaptor, cooling problems, wrong gearing, tons of adaptors for PS, A/C (new freon as well) and on and on and on. It would be FAR cheaper for you to send yours to the crusher and buy a different Montero without any of the problems you seem to be having with yours.

Ron

Old 10-07-2009, 09:03 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions I will put them to work today. I'm in Boise Id I'm still waiting on the qualified Mitsu technician to call me back for an appointment it's been 2 months. Simmmmmmer down..... I'll try these ideas and let yall know thanks for the suggestions.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:33 AM

The last time I was in Boise (this past February), I drove straight in to the service drive at Larry Miller Mitsubishi and got right in. The place was busy but not crowded. Two months? It doesn't even take that long to get in here in Los Angeles. Try Miller Mitsu and see what they come up with.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Default me too

I'm having the same problem with my 96 LS. Intermittent misfire at idle sometimes continuing up to 3000rpm. I too have replaced the plugs, wires, rebuilt injectors. The problem comes and goes intermittently. Sometimes it sets a error code, misfire in cyl 6, and now after new injectors it's now setting a misfire in cyl 4 error. I have moved the coil packs around and the problem stays with the cylinder it's currently misfiring at.
Today I replaced the fuel filter that was only a few months old just in case. I've replaced the upper manifold gasket with the new injectors, meticulously checked for vacuum leaks and replaced any questionable hoses.
Today my wife gave me an ultimatum , Fix it or get rid of it. It's her daily rig and I can't blame her.
Help!

Old 10-09-2009, 08:25 AM

I know mine ran great yesterday-till the afternoon the started doing the same thing, I have tried the same things you have. I hope this weekend I will have time to do a compression test and see what it says, check the O2 and try trouble shooting some more things I'll let you know if anything works. I have talked to the local dealer they don't know either.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Default keep ckecking

Today I installed new grounds to the engine and frame. Thoroughly cleaned the battery terminals, removed and inspected the egr valve to ensure it's closing. I pulled and plugged the pcv. Cleaned and swabbed with dielectric grease and reseated all electrical connections.
I checked the resistance on both the primary and secondary sides of the coil packs. Everything is within factory tolerances according to the service manual.
The only thing left I can think of is the ignition control module, or the Ignition Power Transistor as the factory service module calls it. They have tests to see if it's completely failed but nothing for intermittent misses at idle.
What's it's doing is at idle and upwards to 1500rpm it will miss for a few seconds, then idle fine for a few seconds, then miss for a few seconds.
I'm not giving up, I'll keep looking.
Does anyone have any idea?

Quick Reply: montero engine swap