Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero LS lift kits, suspension tid bits

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Default Montero LS lift kits, suspension tid bits

Ironman Suspension 2.5" Lift Kits on eBay right now~ $400
4 shocks, 2 rear springs, 2 heavy duty torsion bars (25% greater spring rate)

I have researched the suspension components available for my 94 Montero, and I think this is a pretty good deal on a very good suspension kit.

2 other manufacturers:
Old Man Emu - their kit does not include t-bars for the 1994 Montero LS 3.0 V6
Swayaway T-bars - heavy duty bars available for Monteros, Pajeros, Montero Sport, etc

Shocks:
Pro-Comp ES9000 - On sale now at 4wheelonline.com for $99 ! Pretty darn good shocks, especially for the price. Some Australian 'wheelers prefer them to the Old Man Emu shocks, saying that the Pro-Comp gives the same quality ride for half the money

Old Man Emu - good shocks, more expensive. Made by Monroe to the exacting specifications of the boys at OME. Each shock is custom valved for the vehicle.

KYB Monomax - I hear lots of good things about these, but they are ~$50 each.

Old 10-28-2006, 05:24 AM
Default RE: Montero LS lift kits, suspension tid bits

What years are you referring to?

Old 10-29-2006, 01:51 AM

Lift kits, sway bars and shocks are available for pretty much all years of the Montero LS, SR, and Dodge Raider. Also badged as the Hyundai Pajero in Australia (and Europe?), and the Hyundai Galloper in Korea.

My Hyundai Galloper is a 1994 Montero LS. Beware that there was a structural change in the length of torsion bars between the 1994 and 1995 years on Monteros (not including the Sport, I think built later)

Old 10-30-2006, 12:50 AM

ORIGINAL: gs_dirtdog

Lift kits, sway bars and shocks are available for pretty much all years of the Montero LS, SR, and Dodge Raider. Also badged as the Hyundai Pajero in Australia (and Europe?), and the Hyundai Galloper in Korea.

My Hyundai Galloper is a 1994 Montero LS. Beware that there was a structural change in the length of torsion bars between the 1994 and 1995 years on Monteros (not including the Sport, I think built later)
gs dirtdog,

So the Hyundai Pajero is the same underneath as the Mitsu version? I know they got licensing to produce them in Korea but I didn't know they sold them in Australia. I thought only Mitsu had that market as p/o their licensing agreement. Also IIRC their vehicles are not exactly the same as the Mitsu versions.

It's too bad that IFS drop down lift kit's aren't as readily available here in the US. If you go into a 4x4 shop asking for a lift kit for a Montero, they just look at you like you're crazy. I know they do make them in Australia but there's sold in Thailand. Last I recall (spoke w the maker's last year) they couldn't sell them in Australia because they hadnt done the necessary DOT testing to get them approved for use.

The only suspension "kits" sold here that I was aware of are by ARB and those are typically special order and I've heard in many cases require shipment from Australia. In the US the only readily available aftermarket torsion bar is made/sold by Sway-a-way. Ironman doesn't offer them here in any volume from what I've seen in the past although the online auction is from a N.American company. I wonder if they simply bought the remaining stock from Ironman in Canada and are liquidating them?

Old 11-01-2006, 01:32 AM

"Also badged as the Hyundai Pajero in Australia ..."

oops, the Pajero is Mitsubishi, not Hyundai. Hyundai badges the Galloper in Korea.

The Pajero is available in Australia, and in some European contries. Not sure about South or SouthEast Asia. Probably available in Africa as well.

The Galloper engine, driveline, and suspension is all Mitsu as far as I can tell. I have had the car on the rack quite a bit. I order my parts by looking for Mitsu Montero parts in the U.S. Some exterior pieces like headlamps are Hyundai.

Korea has no after-market parts. Hyundai is the only source for parts - all OEM. It is a huge pain in the *** to find parts in Korea, so I order on-line from the U.S.

The interior is different than a Mitsu. Seats and carpet are different, dashboard and console are very similar.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:35 AM

The only suspension "kits" sold here that I was aware of are by ARB and those are typically special order and I've heard in many cases require shipment from Australia. In the US the only readily available aftermarket torsion bar is made/sold by Sway-a-way. Ironman doesn't offer them here in any volume from what I've seen in the past although the online auction is from a N.American company. I wonder if they simply bought the remaining stock from Ironman in Canada and are liquidating them?
I've seen those Ironman lift kits on eBay. I think it is a good kit, at a very good price ($400 for rear springs, 4 shocks, and front Torsion Bars at +20% spring rate). I tried to buy the kit, but the seller wouldn't/couldn't ship the gas charged shocks to Korea via USPS.

I'm not sure how that company got hold of those kits. It is very expensive to order the stuff directly from Australia.