Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero Pajero Roof Rack Cross Bars from EBAY Review (thule yakima) PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:21 AM
Thumbs up Montero Pajero Roof Rack Cross Bars from EBAY Review (thule yakima) PICS!

Alright yall, as always no one does anything for our cars. No one posts new findings, test new products, etc. So hope I can add to that in addition to my other posts (see threads started by me)

At least here in the USA, the 3rd gen Montero (Pajero) NOT SPORT did not come with cross bars on the roof rack. These cross bars are necessary to attach bike racks, snowboard ski racks, cargo boxes, etc. You CAN buy it as an official Mitsubishi accessory, but from what I've seen it is an unbranded yakima/thule.

The official Mitsu accessory is not only hard to locate, but cost $150-200. Same goes with Thule or Yakima. The latter perhaps even more expensive. I was on the verge of purchasing either, but as always I check EBAY to see alternative options.

intrigued is the name of the seller on EBAY. Here is his link:
http://myworld.ebay.com/intrigued

If you browse his profile you can see he sells a lot of these crossbars.

So here they are..

Name:  ebaycrossbar1.jpg
Views: 1624
Size:  84.9 KB
Name:  ebaycrossbar2.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  80.6 KB
Name:  ebaycrossbar3.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  119.7 KB
Name:  ebaycrossbar4.jpg
Views: 1725
Size:  121.7 KB
Name:  ebaycrossbar5.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  134.6 KB

The packaging was outstanding as you can see above. It was shipped out right away and get it in a timely manner.

As you can see printed instructions are included. They were illustrated and clear. Although not as good as the more expensive ones where you can get a digital copy in PDF, if you can't understand how simple it is to install this, then you shouldn't be working on a vehicle at all.

And YES, LOCKS AND 2 KEYS ARE INCLUDED for all of the corner links for theft security. Thule and Yakima are OPTIONAL--meaning you would have to pay more.

Now lets look at the corner ends more closely.

Name:  ebaycrossbar6.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  94.8 KB

Here it is with the cover on. You see the keylock and key there just to show you it is there. It easily slides off which exposes the adjustment screws that you work with once mounting or moving it around on your roof bars. Here it is with the cover off:

Name:  ebaycrossbar10.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  88.9 KB

Extended screws ARE INCLUDED, Why? Because these racks are not specific for our Montero, it can go on other vehicles, in which they need more clearance to wrap around the bar.

Name:  ebaycrossbar9.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  143.5 KB

I can tell you that our Montero / Pajero DOES NOT need to use these extended screws. It is a tight fit at first when you try to wrap it around the roof bar, but once you get it you will see it is just properly snug with some slack. I can show pictures later. You can use them if you are not able to work with it, but I'm telling you it is not necessary.

Here are some more pictures:

Name:  ebaycrossbar7.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  72.4 KB
Name:  ebaycrossbar8.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  78.0 KB

It is IMPORTANT to note the above picture. The portion that wraps around the roof bar is RUBBERIZED so no fear on scratching it up once mounted.

So here they are installed:

Name:  ebaycrossbar11.jpg
Views: 3584
Size:  122.9 KB
Name:  ebaycrossbar12.jpg
Views: 3431
Size:  139.1 KB
Name:  ebaycrossbar13.jpg
Views: 3166
Size:  111.3 KB

I paid $68 SHIPPED for these. Brand new. From what I read, the bars are the same diameter as the Thule bars, so all Thule accessories will be compatible.

Everything is very sturdy. It was very easy to install. I put the bars about 35" apart. I started the front right after the sunroof. As you can see in the installed pictures, you simply slide back the end cover and you use the key to lock it in place.

So any complaints? My only complaint is the locking mechanism. The lock itself is sturdy, but there really isn't much keeping the cover on. It's not much, but it does the job. Another forum has better illustration and I will add it as reference later. The true test is this winter when I take it to the snowy elements for some snowboarding, once my snowboard rack comes in. Will keep you posted. But I highly recommend it if you don't want to pay double/triple the price.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:06 AM

Here are better pictures, referenced from Murano forums..

Here's the whole side-rail mount unit from the side...the crossbars go through it:

The cover slides off by pulling it in line with where the crossbars mount:

Another angle on the cover (right) and the mechanism inside (left:

I turned both upside down. Note that the lock is shown in the cover - what it does is lock the cover onto the clamp mechanism. There is a T-shaped fitting on the end of the lock; when the lock is turned 90 degrees, the T turns sideways and locks the cover on. The three-pointed T-nut on the clamp unit is used to tension the clamp so it won't move, after which the cover is installed:

Here is a view of the locking assy from the side. You can see the vinyl-coated bar at the bottom which tightens on the factory side rails:

Here is the end of the bars - the top surface on the left, the bottom on the right. These are quite stout and shoudl bear any load that the factory side rails are capable of supporting:

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/6...tml#post150394

Old 08-19-2010, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the review. The late Montero Sport models also do not have load bars so this could be used on either the Montero or the Montero Sport. The load bars sit a little too high above the rails for my taste since I live in the city an need a lower profile rack to fit in a lot of the parking garages around here (my Sport has a lift). But height notwithstanding, it looks like a good low cost solution overall.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by challenger4x4
Thanks for the review. The late Montero Sport models also do not have load bars so this could be used on either the Montero or the Montero Sport. The load bars sit a little too high above the rails for my taste since I live in the city an need a lower profile rack to fit in a lot of the parking garages around here (my Sport has a lift). But height notwithstanding, it looks like a good low cost solution overall.
Yea I'm sure it would work on the sport.

Now as far as sitting high. Compared to ones I've seen around, these sit considerably lower compared to others.

If you were looking to something lower than this, I would be curious as to what option you would have at all. The only ones lower than this are the ones that come BUILT into the roof rails from the factory. Obviously that is not an option.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:39 AM

After a while of use now since I made this thread, the bars have held up great. Brought them to the snow several times. Have seen plenty of rain. No signs of wear and tear. Biggest problem is probably those end covers (the ones on the bar itself, not the key cover those are fine). They started to get loose and i have to push them in after a few drives or they may fall out on the road. Easy fix but just lazy.

Anyways I can ALSO CONFIRM the size of the bar is the same as THULE bars, which means you can use ANY THULE accessory/rack on it.

I now have a Yakima snowboard rack using their THULE adapters. See the pics.

And again after looking and looking, you aren't getting anything lower sitting than these. The way the Montero roof rails were designed, there is no cross bars that install parallel with the height of the rails.

Ebay now sells a black version of the bars if you prefer that color. Also some other options that look to be more oval shape, but STICK TO THULE STYLE, it gives you more freedom to use their stuff.

On to the pics.

Name:  montysnow01.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  148.3 KB
Name:  montysnow02.jpg
Views: 2101
Size:  133.4 KB
Name:  montysnow03.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  194.5 KB

And for the Yakima snowboard carrier. What you see there are 3 snowboards. 2 of them being WIDE 160+cm boards. They fit fine. But you really need to apply force for the rack to close. The rubber puts up a fight.

Last edited by redturboeclipse; 02-22-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by redturboeclipse
And again after looking and looking, you aren't getting anything lower sitting than these. The way the Montero roof rails were designed, there is no cross bars that install parallel with the height of the rails.
NOT TRUE! THEY DO EXIST, but very expensive - the S46 OR the X5 bar from Whispbar. I was looking the other day for parallel bars for the very same reason of clearance and happened to come upon these guys:

www.whispbar.com

If you go to their website and look for the Montero from the US/Canada/Europe you won't find anything. But if you select Australia/New Zealand, use their Find My Car app, and select the NP Pajero (with Rails) then it shows you their different options.

The X5 bar is basically the thule square bar but with a parallel mount, and it comes in black!!!!

They have distributors in North America, I know I can get these in Vancouver B.C., as they are listed on a sellers website. The only real issue is the price, but I'm sure someone can find a cheaper version

Last edited by mitsustigi; 02-24-2011 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Adding content
Old 02-24-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by mitsustigi
NOT TRUE! THEY DO EXIST, but very expensive - the S46 OR the X5 bar from Whispbar. I was looking the other day for parallel bars for the very same reason of clearance and happened to come upon these guys:

www.whispbar.com

If you go to their website and look for the Montero from the US/Canada/Europe you won't find anything. But if you select Australia/New Zealand, use their Find My Car app, and select the NP Pajero (with Rails) then it shows you their different options.

The X5 bar is basically the thule square bar but with a parallel mount, and it comes in black!!!!

They have distributors in North America, I know I can get these in Vancouver B.C., as they are listed on a sellers website. The only real issue is the price, but I'm sure someone can find a cheaper version
Ahh thanks for the heads up. i see it..

But man, those are pricey i bet. Esp seeing not available in the US.. These ebay ones are like $50 shipped. And have held up great.

Also after my snow trips.. if these bars were parallel and using the right on the bar racks.. i could not mount the boards with bindings on. very limited.

For actual usuable cross bar the ebay ones are great. after actual experience with the height on these ones, if it was prallel to the rails, there would be no clearance on the bottom and that is not a good thing depending on the accessories and racks/containers you are putting on there.

ive actually heard a lot of owners from other vehicles with the built in parallel x bars still buy the type of bar like i got because it didn't give enough clearance to use the accessories they need.

Last edited by redturboeclipse; 02-24-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:58 PM

Nice set-up. Glad to hear that it has held up well.
Do you ever run a roof rack on it?
I have the Yakama tubular bars under my Bajarack.
It looks like your bars are a bit more low profile; I was just worried about the strength of the square tube with a full rack on top.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Z.
Nice set-up. Glad to hear that it has held up well.
Do you ever run a roof rack on it?
I have the Yakama tubular bars under my Bajarack.
It looks like your bars are a bit more low profile; I was just worried about the strength of the square tube with a full rack on top.
so far ive only run the snowboard racks.. in the future possibly some bike racks or those container boxes. ill update the posts as i do more related things with it.

the thing about having a truck.. the snowboard racks really need quite some pressure to close and lock the rack. but since you can never really get elevated enough to put full force sometimes it takes a lot of pounding and yelling until you can close the rack with a full set of snowboards. maybe due to how stiff the rubber is and design, perhaps there are others that are easier.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by redturboeclipse
Ahh thanks for the heads up. i see it..

But man, those are pricey i bet. Esp seeing not available in the US.. These ebay ones are like $50 shipped. And have held up great.

Also after my snow trips.. if these bars were parallel and using the right on the bar racks.. i could not mount the boards with bindings on. very limited.

For actual usuable cross bar the ebay ones are great. after actual experience with the height on these ones, if it was prallel to the rails, there would be no clearance on the bottom and that is not a good thing depending on the accessories and racks/containers you are putting on there.

ive actually heard a lot of owners from other vehicles with the built in parallel x bars still buy the type of bar like i got because it didn't give enough clearance to use the accessories they need.
Absolutely agreed. Every where I have searched I these have been more expensive than the Thule/Yakima by about 33%. I had hoped that being a new entrant to the market they would be more affordable, but seems like they are going for the premium market with these.