Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero Water leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Default Montero Water leak

Hello guys!

New to the forum. I have an excellent 1998 Montero, like new interiors, and GREAT original paint.

Now, I have noticed that the truck has a small, but continious drip in the passenger side. The water drips from somewhere between the right fender and the interior plastic trim panel on the lower right footwell (covers the truck's computer). I disassembled everything, and watered the the a/c air intake area so that it runs normally as it would if it were raining, and lo and behold, the drip was there.

Has anyone of you had this problem before? I will dismatle the front-right fender side in order to lay some caulk or silicone to any wiring grommets, spot weld seams, etc. I was thinking it was maybe the front windshield, but I seriously doubt it.

Anyway, I will appreciate any input from you guys.

Best regards,

Jorge

Old 07-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Default RE: Montero Water leak

You sure it's not condensation from your AC system.

Old 07-29-2006, 07:45 AM

Hey Off Roader!

Thanks for your reply.

Nope, it's not condensation. Today im removing the front passenger side panel in order to determine if it's body rot (highly doubt it), a dried/cracked grommet, or seeping through dry/non-existing caulking in panel spot-weld areas.

Will advise.

Best regards,

Jorge

Old 07-29-2006, 07:48 AM
Banned

Ok my first guess was going to be the AC. Now that thats out of the window.... i really dont know what to say. That isnt really a common thing to happen so i cant give you a 100% answer. All i can say is look around and take it apart to find it.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:00 PM

After a loooooooooooooong morning, dissasembling the entire front-right clip, found the damn leak!!!

Just like I thought. Bied, cracked caulking was the culprit. It seems that it shrunk and cracked, thus espusing the spot weld panel joints.

Injected water via a "re-used" degreaser pump-spray bottle, so I could concentrate in specific areas, and that was the trick. The leak was found just below the windshield, (2 panels joining), right above a very large cable grommet, which by the way all grommets in the right side were in excellent conditions.

FYI, the draining system was all good, no rust, and vey clean, for 10 years without opening.

Be advised, if working on something like this, be sure that you have all the tools and time available.

Thanks to your feedback.

Regards,

Jorge

Old 10-08-2010, 05:21 PM

Did you end up fixing it with silicone?