Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

My experience with 03 sport brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Default My experience with 03 sport brakes...

Bought 03 montero sport new. At 29,000 miles, front end shuttered and brake indicator on dash stayed on. I've done brakes before on other vehicles I had owned, but this was both my first Mitsubishi and first new vehicle I had ever bought. So, I take it to the dealer.
The week prior, I had taken wheels off front and checked pads and rotors. Pads had 1/4" to 5/16" material and runout on rotors was .0015 total on driver side and .003 total on passenger side. I'm a tool and die journeyman and my father is a mechanic. I had been told by other mechanics that .003 runout would not have been out of tolerance, but in the end I or no one I knew was an expert on Mitsubishis. Better to have experts look at it. Dealer says it needs new pads and rotors resurfaced. It was hard for me to believe because the vehicle was never driven harshly. I assume the rotors developed hard spots , but do not know for sure. They did the job at a cost of almost $300(dealership in Nashville, Tn) and my daughter and I were on our way home. Some how, a backing plate bolt broke on our way home and there was metal grinding metal on I-24 just 20 minutes later. They sent Enterprise with a car and towed the Sport back to their dealership. I picked it up a few days later. They replaced a bolt, backing plate, and rotor on the passenger side. At this point I must say I couldn't believe I had to replace brakes already and that the workmanship was poor at best. But over the next few months my fears went away as the Sport performed well. Then at 49,000, the shutter and brake light came back. I had already decided I would not take it back to the dealer in Nashville. I bought two new rotors and lifetime pads from Autozone(there only because I worked there when I was younger). I had a local Gateway Tire and Service Center perform the labor. Parts and labor at about half the price of the dealer job and did not go to pot 20 minutes later. Overall, I am well pleased with the sport and have about 90,000 on it now. I will buy new rotors everytime I do brakes from now on. It is a heavy vehicle and I am sure it is hard on the rotors. I may even check out some of those cryogenically treated rotors next time.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9663/58256AD844B64DE58F584E49CC603835.jpg[/IMG]