Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Need help with a tensioner pully, "Bolt screw and nut"!!!! PLEASE READ!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Default Need help with a tensioner pully, "Bolt screw and nut"!!!! PLEASE READ!

ok we just replaced the Alternator, and we heard a pop from the bolt used to adjust the tension of the belts.... and now we cant get the belt tight enough.

1) Dose anyone have a picture of this part/parts?
2) Any tips on fixing or replacing it?
3) Were can we get one and for how much?
4) Is it difficult to put on?

Old 08-23-2009, 09:25 AM

why is it no one here ever tells us what they're driving?

Old 08-23-2009, 01:43 PM

O1 mitsu montero sport 2wd 3.5v

Old 08-23-2009, 03:19 PM

I have no diagrams, but typically the pulley is bolted through the center to a small metal block and this assy rides in a long slot in the tensioner bracket. On the other side of the slot the metal block is drilled and tapped perpentdicular to the axis of the pulley. Turing this bolt moves the pulley up and down the slot and tightens the belt. Once you get it to the proper tension, you tighten the bolt head in the center of the pulley to lock it into position in the slot. The set up is very similar to the A/C tensioner which is easier to see from the top of the engine (near the battery)

The only way I can imagine that the long bolt could snap is if someone tried hard to turn it without first losening the pulley center bolt thus freeing the assy to move in the slot. If this is what happened to you then you only need a new long bolt (and to take the assy apart)

On my '99 Full Size, I'd have to take the radiator out to get at the bracket but you may be able to get at it from the bottom of the engine. You should be able to get a new long bolt from any dealer. Or try www.msrecycling.com.

Good luck.

Ron