Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Neutral Light Blinking

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Default Neutral Light Blinking

2003 Mitsubishi Montero - Automatic
My car battery was dead. I had a friend jump me off. He hooked his cables up first, then I went to hook mine up and got a spark. He hooked them up anyway and checked his and they were hooked up wrong!! He switched them but my car was having a hard time staying cranked. I made it to auto parts store, they checked my battery and it was no good. I replaced the alternator and battery. Now... the Neutral Light is blinking when the car is in Drive, 1st & 2nd gears. The gears are not shifting when I try to drive it. It stays in drive at all times. What could be the problem and how can it be fixed?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:19 PM

My 2002 Eclipse died as I was getting on the freeway. I started it back up but it seemed sluggish. My check engine light came on and my neutral light began flashing. I pulled up into the driveway put the car in neutral then decided to move up a llittle bit. It would not go forward. It was raining this morning and I hit some pretty good patches of water on the highway. High enough water that my car seemed to slip a little. I had my oil changed 2 days ago.

Last edited by Wanda Budewig Jackson; 07-11-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: added a word
Old 12-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Default 2000 montero "N" light blinking

Originally Posted by rae.bell
2003 Mitsubishi Montero - Automatic
My car battery was dead. I had a friend jump me off. He hooked his cables up first, then I went to hook mine up and got a spark. He hooked them up anyway and checked his and they were hooked up wrong!! He switched them but my car was having a hard time staying cranked. I made it to auto parts store, they checked my battery and it was no good. I replaced the alternator and battery. Now... the Neutral Light is blinking when the car is in Drive, 1st & 2nd gears. The gears are not shifting when I try to drive it. It stays in drive at all times. What could be the problem and how can it be fixed?
Hello!!! I have pretty much the same problem, "N' light blinking, not shifting beyond 1st gear, and hard reverse engage. I'm really nuts about this problem and I was wondering whether you are able to share some info regarding to a solution for this transmission issue. some info, ideas will be really apreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read my message.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:18 AM

Was anyone able to find out what was wrong? I'm going through the same problem.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:18 PM
Default Same problem

Just had this happen to me what is the problem or fix.

QUOTE=rae.bell;261818]2003 Mitsubishi Montero - Automatic
My car battery was dead. I had a friend jump me off. He hooked his cables up first, then I went to hook mine up and got a spark. He hooked them up anyway and checked his and they were hooked up wrong!! He switched them but my car was having a hard time staying cranked. I made it to auto parts store, they checked my battery and it was no good. I replaced the alternator and battery. Now... the Neutral Light is blinking when the car is in Drive, 1st & 2nd gears. The gears are not shifting when I try to drive it. It stays in drive at all times. What could be the problem and how can it be fixed?[/QUOTE]

Old 08-23-2019, 12:08 AM

Flashing "N" light is an indicator of a a Fail Safe mode. PCM detected some malfunction in the transmission and places vehicle into the "Fail Safe" mode. It allows you to drive slowly (1, 2 nd gear), but not full speed on highway. Many reasons for this, from simple wiring/harness issue to some major internal failure or actual PCM malfunction. You may have to have a mechanic scan the PCM with appropriate scanner to at least pull Transmission DTCs.