Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New '02 Monty Sport XLS Owner w/ a few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Default New '02 Monty Sport XLS Owner w/ a few ?'s

hi guys and gals. i just picked up an '02 Montero Sport XLS (3.5L V6) with 111k on it from a buddy for 2k. (a deal imo, but hey what do i know lol) the day i got it i put rear shocks on it and replaced the front wiper linkage. ( the driver side wiper mount was broken so the blade sort of just flopped around) the rig runs great, has no leaks, and I am happy with the purchase. I got this rig for a camping/ LIGHT duty trail rig. weekends only. something to take the kids camping and to do some light wheeling with. (i know it is not a jeep and wont do what a jeep does ) here she is. its in great shape.

Name:  20131103_165502_zps7ff88a25.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  116.2 KB

Name:  20131103_165513_zpsb907bff6.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  104.3 KB

now onto my ?'s.

I am a Honda and a scoob (subaru) guy. this monty is AWD with the shiftable 4 wheel high and low. now, imo, nothing compares to the symmetrical AWD that scoob's have. (i have driven many other awd's and imo, nothing compares) but this is the first mitsubishi awd i have driven. my buddy that sold me the rig told me that this car has sensors for the awd. in the sense that the rig is mainly 2wd (rwd) and when the rig senses that the rear wheels are slipping, the awd kicks in. is this true? i've tried to research this, but can not come up with a solid answer.

my second question concerns the AC. i suppose the answer to this question is going to vary from person to person. before the purchase i looked on edmunds to see what everyone thought about this rig. some people thought the ac lacked. (for instance, my honda accord ac just cranks, i'm talking arctic temps. where as my scoob does the job, but isnt any where near as cold as the honda. and both ac's are in perfect working order.) any thoughts on the ac on this rig? it does work, but i live in PA and it's Novemeber, so its cold out to begin with, so i cant tell exactly how cold it is.

like i said, this rig's main purpose is to do some light trailing, and camping. i will be driving to work in it when it snows out, so i can leave the accord at home. other than that, weekend use only. once or twice a month. the answer to the 2nd question is not life or death. the first one concerns me a little as that isn't the hot setup and could be dangerous under certain circumstances. i.e, if there is a slight delay from the rig changing from 2wd to awd.

thanks for any and all input.

edit.

i suppose i should throw in the future changes i want to do. i've looked and looked and only found, commercially, a 2" lift that is available. depending on tire size i want to run in the future, i may go with that. if not, i'll fab a lift. (i'm a cnc machinist) i'd also like to get a roof rack for hauling tents, sleeping bags, and maybe the spare tire. also tires. need some thing bigger and suited for trail use. tho, the first thing on the agenda is the timing belt. my buddy doesnt recall if he had that done

Last edited by rik727; 11-22-2013 at 09:09 PM.