Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New to Forum, Bought a used 1995 Montero

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Default New to Forum, Bought a used 1995 Montero

Hi All,

I'm new here and last month I bought a used 1995 Montero. I have always liked the look of the Montero, especially the older ones and i'm excited to drive it. The Montero needs some work and that's OK, I hope to have something wonderful once it gets all the things it needs. My brother has been helping me and this weekend he put in a new timing belt,water pump, idlers and thermostat. We tried to test it out and discovered it has no spark. It turns over and all electronics seems to work except for the radio. We have gas, but no fire or spark. Would anyone have any ideas on where to start? I wondered if the ECU might be the problem? or is there a way to get a code? I bought the vehicle not running, and have yet to hear it run. I appreciate any ideas to get it some fire or spark.

Shawn

Old 09-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Lightbulb maybe it's not an electrical problem, but a wire one.

I'm not sure that you might have an electrical problem, but it might be a wiring-loose issue, if that makes any sense. That happened to me and it was a "ground" thing that a friend fixed. Hope that helps some. I think it's cool you bought an older montero. I like the old ones too. Mine is an '86 and still runs although it has some rust. I have been the sole owner. I think I have to let it go because I am just not using it enough anymore. I hope you can get yours running without too much trouble. Would you mind sharing where/how you bought it and found out about it? I'm not sure about how to go about advertising mine. Any advice? And when you do get it running, I hope you never get stuck anywhere!
Thanks,
I never get stuck!

Old 09-12-2011, 08:36 PM

the ign control module is under the eng cover on top of the intake on the drivers side it has 2 plugs on it if you need an ECU i have one make sure you crank sensor and timing wheel are not bent or the dowel pins stripped out of the fire ring

Old 10-12-2011, 11:57 AM

Hi Shawn,

I live in Colo Springs and have a 1995 Montero, too. I'm currently trying to pull the steering wheel to replace the multifunction switch. I LOVE my Montero and you will too, I'm guessing.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by spradskitt
Hi All,

I'm new here and last month I bought a used 1995 Montero. I have always liked the look of the Montero, especially the older ones and i'm excited to drive it. The Montero needs some work and that's OK, I hope to have something wonderful once it gets all the things it needs. My brother has been helping me and this weekend he put in a new timing belt,water pump, idlers and thermostat. We tried to test it out and discovered it has no spark. It turns over and all electronics seems to work except for the radio. We have gas, but no fire or spark. Would anyone have any ideas on where to start? I wondered if the ECU might be the problem? or is there a way to get a code? I bought the vehicle not running, and have yet to hear it run. I appreciate any ideas to get it some fire or spark.

Shawn
Ok, turns out that the Ignition control module was the problem. I was able to pick up a used one and installed it. Hit the key and varoom, started right up. I did the test in the factory manual to test the unit, but i'm not so sure this test is any good. I got the same results for both the bad unit and the new working unit. I hope this helps someone......

Old 10-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Default That was it!

Originally Posted by mxmikie
the ign control module is under the eng cover on top of the intake on the drivers side it has 2 plugs on it if you need an ECU i have one make sure you crank sensor and timing wheel are not bent or the dowel pins stripped out of the fire ring
The Ignition control module was indeed the problem. I am no anxious to drive the Montero, now that it runs. I have a few more parts to pickup, including the center section of the timing belt cover, as it is missing.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by nevergetstuck
I'm not sure that you might have an electrical problem, but it might be a wiring-loose issue, if that makes any sense. That happened to me and it was a "ground" thing that a friend fixed. Hope that helps some. I think it's cool you bought an older montero. I like the old ones too. Mine is an '86 and still runs although it has some rust. I have been the sole owner. I think I have to let it go because I am just not using it enough anymore. I hope you can get yours running without too much trouble. Would you mind sharing where/how you bought it and found out about it? I'm not sure about how to go about advertising mine. Any advice? And when you do get it running, I hope you never get stuck anywhere!
Thanks,
I never get stuck!
My neighbor had it sitting in his yard and I noticed it for about a year. One day I stopped by and asked if it was for sale, he said the junk man would give him $300 for it,....I said I'll do that. Towed it home and been slowly working on it. You might try Craigslist to sell yours. I posted a pic of my Montero in my photo/album section...have a look.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by relayer77
Hi Shawn,

I live in Colo Springs and have a 1995 Montero, too. I'm currently trying to pull the steering wheel to replace the multifunction switch. I LOVE my Montero and you will too, I'm guessing.
I'm anxious to drive it, still haven't done that yet....maybe this weekend.....if i can find another part I need. I do like it, not yet a love affair....but it has alot of features i do love.