Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New to the forum and have a couple of problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Default New to the forum and have a couple of problems

I have a 2002 montero limited automatic transmission. Seems that im having problems with my climate control and some noise under the engine on idle.

Climate control: the problem here is that it changes tempurature when it feels liek it. It can be on 70 degrees and blow at the hottest setting or it blow at its coldest setting. Only way to resolve the issue is when its cold i turn it to like 80 degreees to get warm temps and when its boiling hot i turn it to like 70 and its warm but either way it wont work on the setting i leave it on. Everythign else works on the climate control such as the position id like it to blow and the fan speed just the tempurature is no where near accurate. Now im not 100% sure but today i noticed that when the car has been ran, then shut off for an xx amount of time then restart it, seems to work normaly. Any ideas?

Engine noise: When the engine revs higher then idle speed u cant hear it but at idle u can hear a chater of some sort comming from the driver side underneath. The sound is continuous. When u rev it goes away or maybe the engine gets louder then the sound. As u slowely rev the engine, the sound starts to disipate. The sound has no effect on engine performance (or at least non that i can tell)

Thanx in advance for any response given to either/both questions.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:30 AM
Default RE: New to the forum and have a couple of problems

Is the AC on when this is happening? I could be from the compressor going out or a low charge.

The noise is most like a loose exhuast bracket. I have to tighten and replace the bolt in mine quiet often.

JC

Old 02-10-2006, 12:30 AM

You also have a bad thermostat on the climate control.

Old 02-10-2006, 03:24 AM

Thanx for the heads up guys... No the a/c is not on (compressor is not running) when this issue occours. Now with regard to the thermostat.. how do i replace/fix that? Is that an item located inside the climate control pod or an outside device? I thought the thermostat is used only when the climate control is set to auto. Isnt the tempurature and and mixing valves predetermined to the position of the **** like when the temp is set to 65 its closed completely and when its at 85 its open completely and as i increase/decrease the temp the mixing valve works according?

Now as for the bracket for the exhaust... where is that exact bracket located if u dont mind to be specific. Thanx both of u for the response and if anyone has any other opinions please feel free to share.