Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 11:15 PM
Default timing belt

is there anyone from new york city who can direct me to a place other than dealer to do this job dealer gave me quote that made my jaw drop

Old 04-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Default RE: timing belt

Unfortunately, it is a big job to change the timing belt on these cars. You have to remove the, radiator, all of your accessory belts, air conditioning compressor, crank pulley, etc. Even if you are good it takes a long time. While you are in there you may want to consider replacing the water pump since the timing belt needs to come off to replace it. How many miles on your car? Dark Man will kill me but unless you have a DOHC the belt will last much longer than the 60k suggested replacement time. I waited 'till 90k but then I did my water pump, idler pulleys and belt tensioner. I also replaced all my accessory belts(cheap) and the radiator hoses and the radiator thermostat. Once you have it apart you might as well replace all that stuff. You should also consider the age of your car not just the mileage. If it is more than 6-7 years old it is probably time to replace it.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:05 PM

go to shea stadium. Theres a junk yard there. U have many choices but i usualy only go to a mechanic named alfanzo. Name of the shop is "alfonso" located on 38th ave if i recall correctly. I have had other cars and my friends cars timing belts replaced there with no problems and great prices. I realize u think junk yard u think junk work. The place may not be clean, however, there r mechanics there that have been in business for 10+ years. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2006, 08:08 PM

New York Montero,

The details of what engine you have would be helpful!

Replacing the timing belt is a major job and literally requires removing almost EVERYTHING from the front of the montero to access the belt.

While you're doing the timing belt, I highly recommend also replacing your other belts, belt tensioners, pulleys/bearings, waterpump, etc.