Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Is outlander equipped with timing belt or timing chain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Default Is outlander equipped with timing belt or timing chain?

My outlander is 2009 model with 6 cyl. It's getting 62000+ miles. Just wonder ether it's equipped with timing belt or timing chain. I guess it's time to replace it if it's timing belt.

Thanks.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:12 AM

they are belts and are good until 105k miles.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:59 AM

vehicle models have neither.
Engine models do.
'6 cylinder' isnt that helpful
but I assume its the 3.0 v6 (6g7x engine), then it is belt. Id say do a belt at 100 KMs, not miles, so yeah, its due.
Depends a bit on how its been maintained/used too.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Akzle
vehicle models have neither.
Engine models do.
'6 cylinder' isnt that helpful
but I assume its the 3.0 v6 (6g7x engine), then it is belt. Id say do a belt at 100 KMs, not miles, so yeah, its due.
Depends a bit on how its been maintained/used too.
Please stop giving advice without knowing what the hell you are giving advice about.

The Outlander only came with one engine that has 6 cylinders in '09...the 6B31...so the information he did give was helpful. He has an '09, which is the exact same that comes with the vehicle in '07. Attached is an image from the service interval from the service manual. 105k miles...not KM.

Attached Thumbnails Is outlander equipped with timing belt or timing chain?-timing.jpg  
Old 12-19-2014, 01:59 AM

Thank you very much for the information.

Are there any recommended local shops in south bay area, CA for the 60k mile service? The only mitsubishi dealer here (San Jose, CA) asked for $490+ for the work. Feel like rip-off...

Old 12-19-2014, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by judien
Thank you very much for the information.

Are there any recommended local shops in south bay area, CA for the 60k mile service? The only mitsubishi dealer here (San Jose, CA) asked for $490+ for the work. Feel like rip-off...
No clue about shops there, but at 60k, if not done already, I'd do brake bleed, power steering fluid change, and transmission fluid. Tranny fluid can be bought at dealership, dia queen atf-j2....not sp-iii, but you'll have to make sure a non dealership will either take fluid you bring them or will source it themselves. If they get it....ask for the empty bottles as proof....should be about 8qt.

Large shops normally charge 80-90 bucks per hour... Tranny fluid can be as much as 12/qt. If you go to dealership for tranny fluid change, ask what they are doing specifically. A drain & fill only gets 2 qts out and costs about $300-$350.

Just wait till 100k service. Spark plugs and timing belt is a lot of labor. Plugs are about $15 a pop.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
No clue about shops there, but at 60k, if not done already, I'd do brake bleed, power steering fluid change, and transmission fluid. Tranny fluid can be bought at dealership, dia queen atf-j2....not sp-iii, but you'll have to make sure a non dealership will either take fluid you bring them or will source it themselves. If they get it....ask for the empty bottles as proof....should be about 8qt.

Large shops normally charge 80-90 bucks per hour... Tranny fluid can be as much as 12/qt. If you go to dealership for tranny fluid change, ask what they are doing specifically. A drain & fill only gets 2 qts out and costs about $300-$350.

Just wait till 100k service. Spark plugs and timing belt is a lot of labor. Plugs are about $15 a pop.
Does 60k mile service require transmission fluid flush? My maintenance manual only asks to "check manual transmission oil level and condition". Thanks.

Last edited by judien; 12-29-2014 at 01:37 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:21 AM

I'm about to do the timing belt myself, and I was wondering if I'll need the crankshaft tool to perform the job. I'll want to rotate it a few times to ensure that all my timing marks are aligned after the belt is re-installed. How did everyone else do this?

Old 11-06-2016, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by MM3Canuck
I'm about to do the timing belt myself, and I was wondering if I'll need the crankshaft tool to perform the job. I'll want to rotate it a few times to ensure that all my timing marks are aligned after the belt is re-installed. How did everyone else do this?
Because I have not done this job myself, I cannot tell you if there is any alternative to the crankshaft tool, but here is a very nice video that not only shows the belt replacement process, but mentions the 105,000 MILE (168,000 km) replacement interval:

I am also considering doing this job myself next summer, so I would really appreciate you doing two things if you do this job yourself.

First, please contact a Toronto Mit. dealership and ask them if there is a TIME interval on the belt. The reason I ask is that our 2010 vehicle has only 104,000 km on the original belt. Even so, our local dealership has told me that there is a 7-year replacement interval, regardless of mileage ("kilometerage"?), so it's 7 years OR 168,000 km, whichever comes first. I'd like that statement confirmed at another, more distant dealership. Our 2010 was purchased by the original owner at the end of November of 2009, which means that the belt will be 7 years old at the end of this month. To completely maintain the remainder of the 10-year or 160,000 km engine portion of the Mit. Canada powertrain warranty, I've got to have Mit. replace the belt by the end of November. Either that or I can cross my fingers and wait to whenever I'd like to have Mit. replace the belt, but if the belt should fail after the end of November, we're on our own as far as repairing any damage that a failed timing belt might cause. This is why I'm very interested in mileage versus age on our vehicle's timing belt. (BTW, I never hot-rod this vehicle; Edmonton's climate is cool for at least 7 months of the year; the vehicle is garaged when not in use and the temperature of the garage goes below freezing only a few days a year. FWIW, the accessory belt on our 1992 Honda Accord was the original belt and, when we sold the vehicle in 2013, had 236,000 km on it. My point is that apparently at least accessory belts last a long time in Edmonton's climate and I figure that timing belts may be the same. I also hate spending time and money on things that don't need replacing.)

Second, as you are doing the job, it would be great if you could take some photos and post some comments about the unexpected things you run into and how you solve them.

Thanks!

Edit: Here's an inexpensive crank tool:
https://www.amazon.ca/Mitsubishi-Tim.../dp/B00H969EAK

Last edited by Outlaander; 11-06-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Outlaander
Because I have not done this job myself, I cannot tell you if there is any alternative to the crankshaft tool, but here is a very nice video that not only shows the belt replacement process, but mentions the 105,000 MILE (168,000 km) replacement interval:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkG396-0Y7E

I am also considering doing this job myself next summer, so I would really appreciate you doing two things if you do this job yourself.

First, please contact a Toronto Mit. dealership and ask them if there is a TIME interval on the belt. The reason I ask is that our 2010 vehicle has only 104,000 km on the original belt. Even so, our local dealership has told me that there is a 7-year replacement interval, regardless of mileage ("kilometerage"?), so it's 7 years OR 168,000 km, whichever comes first. I'd like that statement confirmed at another, more distant dealership. Our 2010 was purchased by the original owner at the end of November of 2009, which means that the belt will be 7 years old at the end of this month. To completely maintain the remainder of the 10-year or 160,000 km engine portion of the Mit. Canada powertrain warranty, I've got to have Mit. replace the belt by the end of November. Either that or I can cross my fingers and wait to whenever I'd like to have Mit. replace the belt, but if the belt should fail after the end of November, we're on our own as far as repairing any damage that a failed timing belt might cause. This is why I'm very interested in mileage versus age on our vehicle's timing belt. (BTW, I never hot-rod this vehicle; Edmonton's climate is cool for at least 7 months of the year; the vehicle is garaged when not in use and the temperature of the garage goes below freezing only a few days a year. FWIW, the accessory belt on our 1992 Honda Accord was the original belt and, when we sold the vehicle in 2013, had 236,000 km on it. My point is that apparently at least accessory belts last a long time in Edmonton's climate and I figure that timing belts may be the same. I also hate spending time and money on things that don't need replacing.)

Second, as you are doing the job, it would be great if you could take some photos and post some comments about the unexpected things you run into and how you solve them.

Thanks!

Edit: Here's an inexpensive crank tool:
https://www.amazon.ca/Mitsubishi-Tim.../dp/B00H969EAK
Product in the link is not for the the 6B31, I wouldn't use it.

When we did the job a few years ago, we had the vehicle up on a lift. Wheel came off. We put a large prybar between the holes of the crank pulley to keep it from spinning, impact wrench it off. When you remove the motor mount, put a padded jack underneath and support the engine from below with a jack. those were the biggest gotchas.

Quick Reply: Is outlander equipped with timing belt or timing chain?