Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New Montero Sports(s) owner(s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Default New Montero Sports(s) owner(s)

My wife and I bought 2 Montero Sports this past week. Mine is a 2001 XLS w/ about 67,xxx. Hers is a 2002 LS w/ about 37,xxx. So far I like the vehicles. They're not exactly the most fuel efficient but we were expecting that. They both have the 3.0. They're lacking a lttile power for the fuel economy to be so poor. Other than those 2 items we are very pleased. Now to the questions. I am looking for a class III hitch for mine. Is there a list of codes or a way to figure out what options I have (for example: Do I have Limited Slip? What gearing does the axles have in them.). I know GM uses RPO Codes to decode this and Ford has codes as well. Thanks in advance and hopefully this will be a long and pleasant relationship w/ these trucks. \Thanks in advance to everyone for welcoming me to the site.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:13 PM
Default RE: New Montero(s) owner(s)

Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately, I don't know to much about the Gen III. If you had that same question about the I or II's then I'd have something more to contribute.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:59 PM

are you in the U.S? because the engine is actually a 3.5 liter, not a 3 liter.
There really arent any "towing" options that were ever available. the monteros just come with everything needed (large oil cooler, secondary trans cooler, etc.etc).
the only thing you really need is a hitch and harness. my recommendation is NOT to get a harness from u-haul, or any generic towing place like that. The lights are all solid state, and the mitsu trailer wiring is designed to take its power from an added line and NOT directly from the light circuit itself. Ive seen many, many problems with aftermarket trailer harnesses.

originally, there were two drivelines available. One had the 5 speed auto with super select 4WD, and the other had a 4 speed auto and a general 2WD/4WD transfer case (the basic driveline out of the montero sport).
the 5 speed with super select is worlds better in regards to power and efficiency, but reliability is the same for both (they're tanks). the cheaper 4 speed option was eliminated in 03 (I think) and the only option was basically fully loaded.
im not sure which you have in the XLS. the 5 speed has a sportronic option on the shifter, meaning you can manually bump it up and down through the gears. the 4 speed has an ordinary shift gate, featuring a "D", then a "3", "2", and "1".
if you give me the VINs of both, i can find out all sorts of information for you (like the options you have, and if any recalls are present, etc.etc).

Old 01-21-2007, 11:22 PM

Manybrews,
I live in the good ole USA. Do you have a Yahoo address or messenger. My post said Montero but I meant to say Montero Sport.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:20 AM

ORIGINAL: contourcrazy

Manybrews,
I live in the good ole USA. Do you have a Yahoo address or messenger. My post said Montero but I meant to say Montero Sport.
well, that pretty much changes every answer I just gave you.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:47 AM

Why do so many sport owners make this "dumb" mistake and assume they're the same or something?

Not only to owners make this mistake, but dealers do it all the time but I understand why dealers do it. They're STUPID to begin with.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:19 PM

I'm not known as a wordsmith. I do assume there are differences. I am sure it is like comparing a Ranger to a F150. I just failed to type in the Sport part. I am a little on the spaced out side.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:35 PM

yes, im afraid they are COMPLETELY different other than the fact that the full sized montero did in fact offer the less expensive montero sport drivetrain for the first 2 or 3 years after its redesign (in 2001).

Old 01-22-2007, 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: contourcrazy
I am a little on the spaced out side.
No worries, we all are from time to time.[sm=smiley20.gif]