Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

No RPM signal and fuel pump not running

Old 08-19-2016, 10:13 PM
Default No RPM signal and fuel pump not running

Got this vehicle handed down and as it stopped running when she was driving. Turned out crankshaft timing gear roll pin sheared off keeping the harmonic balancer from rotating with the crank. So the alternator wasnt charging the battery so vehicle died. I replaced crank timing gear, harmonic balancer, water pump, timing belt and all timing components. I was going to replace crank and cam sensors but not knowing at the time if it jumped time and bent valves i was reluctant to spend another $150 on the two sensors. Everything is back together and it wouldn't start with starting fluid. So i tore the intakes off replaced plugs whoch had no tips left and cylinder 3 and 4 were soaked in oil so went further and replaced valve cover gaskets and tube seals and after 210k miles those tube seals and valve cover gaskets were hard as a rock. Replaced plenum and upper intake metal gaskets along with egr tube and valve gaskets. Every gasket that had to be removed got replaced. Everything back together will try to run on starting fluid but will not fully start. I get no RPM on the cluster and no RPM on an OBD scanner. After trying to crank I get P0335 error code. I thought crank sensor would cause no spark but Im getting some kind of spark as it tries to start using starting fluid. The check engine light doesn't come on with key on. I cannot hear the fuel pump priming either. I get 12.54V on one of the crank connector pin and 5.05V on the other. The third pin i get -12.54V i get the exact same readings on the cam sensor connector. Do I have a PCM failure or should I tear it back down and replace those sensors. I bought both cam and crank sensors along with EFI/Fuel relay which also does not click. If you have read this far thanks so much and awaiting any replies. Thanks

Old 08-20-2016, 02:28 AM

When you replaced the crank timing gear, did you take off the sensor plate and re-indexed it with the timing gear? You can't do this without removing the crank position sensor. If you have not done that, the blades of the sensor plate will not rotate (safety feature in case timing gear slips) and as a result your PCM does not know where in the rotation the crankshaft is. Therefore it does not initiate spark signal. Your voltages on the sensor are correct. The only other thing to check is ground (third wire on the sensor) and also, while you have the multimeter connected to the 5v wire, rotate crankshaft by hand. Your voltage should drop to near 0v, then go back to 5v (three times per full rotation of crankshaft). If it does not do this - you definitely have a sensor plate not connected to the timing gear.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:41 PM

I did put the plate back into the pin holes. Bent the old one getting the gear off noticed the crank spacer had a crack so replaced them both with new ones. As far as I noticed the plate was still indexed but I did not make sure before reassembly. Once I figure out how to get the harmonic balancer back off (as I had it towed to a shop to get it tourqed down) I'll check the plate. I plugged the new crank sensor in without actually installing it to see if the fuel pump would kick on or at least the check engine light illuminate with the key on, but no change. Thank you for your reply