Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

oil leak under exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Default oil leak under exhaust manifold

hey guys figured out the grinding bit, but im leaking oil under the passenger side exhaust manifold. do i just need to pop it off and change the seal or is something that requires a lot more work? i dont mind pulling things off to get to seals, but i just wanted to know if anyone might have had the same problem and possibly know where the leak could be coming from. i thought i was just using a lot of oil, but turns out when i crawled under and pulled the skid plate off it was full of oil! please help i dont want to get screwed at the shop! thanks again! I love this forum

Last edited by sloopjoshc; 03-25-2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: title
Old 03-26-2010, 07:06 AM

Check your valve cover gaskets, and your oil filter gasket. Also, what type of oil filter are you using? Maybe the gasket on the filter isn't sealing properly.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:34 PM

well the oil is all over the back of my alternator too, i dont know if that helps i just cant seem to find the leak. i really dont want to have to start taking all the parts off the top,

Old 04-03-2010, 09:09 PM

Same problem, oil on alternator, I tightened all the valve cover gaskets, that stopped some of the oil leaks.

Mike

Old 04-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Default Oil Leak

Look on the passenger side head on the back of the engine there is a football looking plug take the two bolts out and replace the O-Ring what happens is the air movement under and around the engine makes it look like it coming from the top of the engine hope this helps.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:15 PM

cam plug o-ring car&driver, thats what its called. also if you have oil on your alternator, the cam seals are known to leak, especially if the pcv is clogged shut.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:55 PM

after i drive the car for 30 minutes or left it idle for 15-20 minutes
a "white smoke" will come out of the exhaust. Is it part of an oil leak
or does the engine needs overhauling?
Thanks

Old 10-09-2010, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by kidashley25
you can use a oil stop leak and it may do they job. If not most likely it is a bad gasket which will need to be replaced and properly sealed. If it is as bad as a cracked block then there isn't much you can do and replace the whole exhaust manifold.
wait...what?

Old 10-09-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by phenoyz
Thanks
The white smoke is steam because coolant is entering the combustion chamber. The fact that it only starts smoking after the engine is warmed up only confirms that. You'll need a new head gasket.
If I were you, I wouldn't take this truck on a long trip until that is fixed. Not to be a buzzkill, but it sounds like you bought a lemon, Phenoyz.
That's a much bigger job than the timing belt, and it's 95% labor.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by phenoyz
Thanks
I too get white smoke after the engine has idled for 15-20 mins, like in winter when I like to let it warm up before driving it.

However, mine is burning oil, as the valve guide seals are shot, so I believe. The smell produced from the smoke is definitely burning oil, and I need to top the oil up by 1/2 to 1 quart every few thousand miles. Coolant does not need topping up.

I own a 95 LS as well. It only has 89,000 miles on it. I must say, it has NEVER let me down in the 5 years I have owned it, and it goes like hell in the snow. I just don't have the facilities to replace the seals.

Quick Reply: oil leak under exhaust manifold