Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Overheating 02

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Default Overheating 02

Hi,

02 full size limited with 100k had its timing done second time about 2 month back. with it a new pump, radiator, thermostat. And it also had an issue with temp gauge going nutz, so that was replaced by an aftermarket gauge.

All was good until mid last week when wife called that it got over heated to 250 and wont start. let it cooled down and drove it home about a mile. Next morning look into radiator and it is empty. more then a golan goes in. 3 days later same problem. luckily all trips are around town, so made it home. same problem, empty radiator.

there are no leaks anywhere. However, when it gets hot it starts to smoke from the right side of the engine. opened oil cap and got smoke to come out.

I truly hope I do not need a new engine. Please advise.

p.s. forgot to mention. checked engine oil and it is clear and upto the level.

Last edited by cougar8000; 07-30-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:07 AM

I lied when I said there were not leaks. Actually I did not see it and it took my 4 yr old to spot a leak on the back of the montero while I was putting more antifreeze in.

What I didnt realized is that rear air conditioner is linked with radiator and there are lines going back. One of those lines has rusted out and there is a 2 mm opening and as I was putting in it was coming out from there. Reason I did not see it as I was not looking back there. leak is behind rear axle.

Will be ordering two metal lines to replace. Anyone got any tips on removing those old rusted out bolts that hold those lines?

SO, if you have a montero with rear air, check those lines and possibly replace them before this happens.

Also, how would I know if 5 min drive on over heated engine did any damage? Last night it started out fine as I was driving it on the ramp.

Thank you

Old 08-09-2012, 09:32 AM

hmmm, is anyone out there? not even a smart remark from someone

Anyway, just in case someone is still reading it and interested.

Bought the new pipes at the dealer to a tune of almost 180. They are 4-5 feet long connected two pipes. Got them home on my motorcycle and dived under the car. Pipes are held by 4 bolts screwed direct into the body. One on the back broke away almost immediately. 2 in front came out ok.

3rd is still there and will die with the car when ever that happens. It is located above rear axle, for the lack of better word it is. There is no way to get to it with out taking gas tank and all rear suspension off the car. I could not even squeeze my hand to touch it. So, what I did I broke the old pipe of it and made sure that all pieces came out. Mount is still there with the bolt.

This made a new dilemma. new 180 pipes will not be going in w/o either dropping above mentioned parts off or some modification. What I am thinking I will do is cut them at that point and then another 6-8 inches from each end. Flare the ends and put a flex radiator hose in that spot and connect the pipes again.

Mean while to get the car on the road I have put a shoe horn connector made out of 5/8 1 foot radiator hose that is connected to the two rubber hoses that are right behind the trainy that were connected to those ridgit pipes. Doing this I have closed the loop and car is drivable.

last night did a complete flush and refilled with anti-freeze. Took it for a short spin and all has checked out. This morning drove it for over 40 miles hwy/street mix and temp never got more then 192. Few month ago my temp gauge stopped working, so I know have a digital gauge. I will drive like that for a few days to shake everything out and if all checks out will start building out connection to the rear air/heater unit.