Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Painting 1994 Montero Frame....Pictures, Questions, Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 07:00 AM

Yep, I agree......with so many projects, we barely have time to keep up with the "broken" items, and not the extra, not pending maintenance stuff. Maybe repack them at 500,000, and go from there.....ha ha. I watched a video from one mechanic who showed how he cleanse the CV boot real good, and then puts something like 303 or a rubber penetrate/sealer to them.......looks good, but once again......hard to find time for those luxury repairs.

Must be nice to never need to buy PB Blaster.......all you have to do is blow off the dust, and wrench away.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by 1960StudebakerHawk
...Maybe repack them at 500,000, and go from there...
I like that plan. Seems very reasonable.

Originally Posted by 1960StudebakerHawk
...Must be nice to never need to buy PB Blaster.......all you have to do is blow off the dust, and wrench away.
Definitely nice not to have to buy PB Blaster or WD-40 in bulk or to work under "Fred"...

Old 09-19-2019, 07:51 PM

Hunter......thats hillarious.....Fred.....looks like ole Fred is oozing rust left and right, rust falling down like a waterfall......funny. Might have to call one of my rusty Monties "Fred". I do hate being underneath the belly, and a slight tap of the wrench causes a shower of rust/dirt to fall on ones head...........while crossing my fingers that the jack stands dont decide to just poke on through. Yep, "rust never sleeps".

Old 09-19-2019, 08:09 PM

Perty enuff to frame on my wall: Im a real AreTiest....ha ha.
Getting the black done in the inner fenders:

The sad thing is that soon I have to let her down, jack up the other side, and repeat the process all over again........DOH!

Hunter......I checked the Monties again, and only the "SR" models have those rear inner fender hanging brackets.....not the "LS" or the base model. So, looks like it was made just for the SR models, and the only thing I can guess are inner splash shields. Would love to hear from someone who knows for sure.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:21 AM

Dude you are a pure Michelangelo. That paint looks good and I'm sure it will help to at least slow down the rust to a crawl.
BTW, I see you have slotted drilled rotors. How are they holding up? I tried an aftermarket slotted drilled rotors once, but they have warped much sooner than expected. So I went back to OEM solid rotors.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:57 PM

If not a Michelangelo, then maybe a Van Gogh......and I might end up chopping off my ear on this project....ha ha.

Yep, the rust critters have been sneaking away from this Montero, and hoping into the next closest thing available.....like termites leaving a rotten stump and ganging up on a fresh tree close by........I better not park anything good too close, or it will look like ole Fred in your pic.

Slotted/drilled rotors.....well, I am pretty light on the pedal, so most of my brakes/rotors tend to last almost forever. But I suppose these will not heat up as fast.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:24 PM

A few more picture updates:

I managed to put an extension hose on the front sunroof drain hose. I had an old piece of garden hose that fit perfectly over the existing hose and a simple hose clamp holds it in place. No more rust potential in that fender area now:

The inner plastic fender liner fit right over the garden hose:

Splash guard totally hides it:

This is all you see from the bottom (last thing a roadkill would see before his misfortune):

Front inner fender now done:

Old 09-28-2019, 05:33 PM

Managed to fabricate an "Inner Mud Flap" for the rear: (Maybe its "fac-tree"):

Old 09-28-2019, 06:23 PM

Hunter........I saved the Rear Pumpkin sticker and stuck er back on after painting:

Any idea what the "WS3" stands for? Code for the Air Locker option?

Another question for you: I popped all the frame plugs back in after painting the frame. Why did they go through the plug process, and leave other openings unplugged? Pic:

Two unplugged holes:

I found a scrap plastic cut-out that fit great as a plug for that 2" horizontal frame tube.....taped on top, and moisture can still drain from the bottom:

Old 09-28-2019, 07:06 PM

Looks really nice. I don't know what "WS3" stands for. My guess would be same as yours - air locker option.

Quick Reply: Painting 1994 Montero Frame....Pictures, Questions, Suggestions