Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

PLease Help!!!

Old 08-21-2015, 08:20 PM
Default PLease Help!!!

to start, I have a 2002 Montero Sport with a 3.0l engine. I was experiencing problems, in the morning the car started fine, then after it was warmed up I stopped at the store. When I returned after about 5 minutes, tried to start and it wouldn't. I waited approx. 15 minutes and tried again. She started. when I got home and shut her off, I tried again and started with no problem. I again tried 3 hours later and she started. the next morning she started with no problem. But, after about 30 minutes driving, I stopped, when in to a place for abour 20 minutes, came out and she didn't start.
She turns over like she wants to start, but nothing. After some research, I decided to tri replacing the Fuel pump with the thought that it was going out. Thinking the pump was getting hot and quitting when she was warm.
And so my dilemma continues. after the replacement, she ran fine for about 10 minutes on a test drive she died while I was driving. Pulled to the side and tried to restart her and she did. drove another 10 minutes and died again. Again restarted ok. 10 minutes later, she died a third time and did not start again.
any Ideas, your experience would be so welcome as this is our only mode of transportation.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:12 PM

After the fuel pump is the problem all the time now? - Did it get worse?

Do you happen to have a check engine light on?

Old 08-21-2015, 10:43 PM

Yes, it is worse now, before, it wouldn't start after I turned the car off. Now, it dies when I drive. did it twice, third time it wouldn't start again. I followed the directions to a t. no pinched lines, everything connected like it was supposed to be.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:26 PM

Well it's possible something else is wrong but since you changed the fuel pump and it got worse lets focus on possible problems there...

Check the electrical connections and wires.

Also did you change the fuel filter?

Another thing is fuel pressure, may want to get a gauge.

Will it die if you just let it idle without driving it? or at this point is it a complete no start condition?

Old 08-22-2015, 12:16 AM

at this point, its not starting. the engine just turns over, like it wants to, but doesn't.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:24 AM

I'd start with listening if the fuel pump comes on in the run position..just listen for it..

If you don't hear it go near it and have someone crank it..

If you know is running for sure you'll need a fuel pressure test kit to confirm you have enough pressure.

It could also be spark, air, timing, exhaust or compression causing a no start but since your chasing fuel and it had an effect albeit a bad one I'd stay on that track for now.

It could still be a bad fuel pump they do sometimes sell broken parts out of the box.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:21 AM

It started this morning, then died after warmup. check coil packs for spark. As I thought, none. I have a 99 Montero base that i am replacing the engine on. took the ignitor off the bad engine and replaced. she has since ran without fail or dying. Thank you very much for suggesting Spark. Never occurred to me since she would start intermittently. I am so releaved and have a happy fiancee now.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:46 AM

Weird that it would get worse after the fuel pump.. Hard to see a connection between fuel and spark but I guess weirder things have happened.

Glad you got it running.