Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Default power antenna

I broke my power antenna on my 1998 Montero Sport. I'd like to replace it by myself, but I don't know how to do it. I suppose I have to remove the right front wheel, but i don't see any access to the antenna. Could someone explain me how to do it step by step please ? Thank you.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Default RE: power antenna

To re - awaken this thread... I have the same problem. Surely someone knows how this is done.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:12 AM

I had this same problem. Get the replacement antenna from a dealer...i think they're like $12 or something, unscrew the top ring around the base of the antenna (with the radio off) and pull out the old one. The antenna goes up and down by a strip of white "teeth" that gets fed into the motor. When installing the new one you have to get the motor to catch these teeth to pull it in, and i blieve this is done by turning the radio on and off, but am not sure. i'm doing this all from memory from when i replaced mine about 2 years ago. Your best bet would be to ask the parts guy at the mitsu dealer before you do anything. The tricky part is getting the motor to catch the new antenna strip right.

Old 01-28-2006, 03:02 PM

I have tried to get the bolt off, but it won't move. Any ideas?

Old 03-12-2006, 06:21 PM

I just had the power antenna replaced on my 97 LS. The part itself cost about 120.00 from the dealer. I watched them do it, all you have to do is take off the front tire and remore the wheel well liner. Then you can access the area you need. Make sure when ordering the part to get the right one. They come in 2 different lengths and it depneds on the bolt spacing to determine which one you have. The dealer made hat mistake on mine! Hope that helps!

Old 03-18-2006, 01:12 PM

Replacing the MAST section can be done just as Kjboucher1 said. Remove the lock ring from the base, turn on the radio and pull the antenna completely out as the motor releases it. Note the direction the teeth are facing. To put it in.. push the white rack gear from the new mast inside the motor- THEN turn the radio back off. Move the antenna around until it catches the motor and it will be pulled in. Most people replace their antenna because the inside rack gear has broken and it will no longer move up and down. If too much of the broken rack gear remains inside of the motor, you may have trouble installing a new mast. It depends on the position of the antenna when it actually broke as too how much remains inside the motor. If a fully extended antenna was somehow bent (carwash, accidental bump) and the outer metal retractor was bent without damaging the internal rack gear, you should be able to replace it as mentioned above.
If too much of the broken rack gear remains inside the motor- the new mast may not go down completely. If this is the case, you'll need to remove the inner splash shield from the passenger side fender to access/dismount the motor. There is a cap over the motors gear drive that can be removed with a few screws and bolts. Once to remove the cap- carefully pry it open and remove the broken peices of the old mast. Reassemble and reinstall and make another attempt at feeding in a new mast.
This procedure can be done while the motor is still on the car- though dismounted from the mounting point with the control connectors disconnected- the antenna cable itself will remain connected to the radio. There is no need in removing the radio to disconnect the antenna wire just to remove the antenna completely from the vehicle. If the motor is working- there is NO need to replace it- it fails to accept the new mast simply because of the remaining pieces that are getting in the way. Good Luck!

Joel, CA

Old 04-08-2006, 04:18 AM

Hi all, I have a 2000 Montero Sport that has a bent antenna. I have a replacement mast, but I cannot get the old antenna mast to come out of the casing (yes, the ring is off the top!). The motor is still working fine, but the mast stops coming out and I am afraid that I will break something if I pull too strongly. I have applied some pulling force, but didn't think that it was really neceessary to do so as mast should just come out. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks!

Old 11-06-2006, 11:33 PM

Great advice guys. I replaced the mast in 10 mintes this PM. Screw the retaining ring in after you put the new mast in and retract it.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:14 AM

The base of the antenna has expansion retainers built into it. Look at your new mast and you'll understand what i mean. Once you have the old antenna in the fully up position, you'll need to give the base a quick and somewhat forcefull tug . A slow and heavy pull won't be enough to make the retainers release. Good luck!

J

Old 11-08-2006, 05:34 PM

I have a similar issue on my 96 Montero LS...but in my case when the antenna is fully up already I can still hear the gear running. But when I turn off the radio, the antenna will retract properly.

Can this be fixed by replacing the antenna mast or do I have to replace the whole assembly? Again, my issue is that even the antenna is fully deployed (up) the motor keeps on running.

Thanks,
Chris

Quick Reply: power antenna